sigh, I screw another interview

This is maybe a dream job for me in a while, made to the last round, I did quite much preparation for it, spending last Sunday going over detail questions to be asked. I had to drive 1.5 hours to get the place, I met three person, HR, VP and director (Hiring manager). I think I did relatively not bad with HR and VP, but really screwed the last one, because I have been too tired, my brain just stop working, can’t remember all the preaparations. I am sad since this is probably the best opportunity I can get at least in a while.

and hey, if you think you did good with 2 out of 3, thats pretty good. be positive. if it makes you feel better, i read your post in an irish accent and giggled to myself

Don’t be sad. This job market is hellacious. You made it to the final round, so you should be proud.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like more interview practice would have been best for you…I find that candidates that try to “remember” what they need to say just haven’t been properly acclimated to stressful situations.

Numi, are you back from Asia?

Don’t worry, job market is bottoming even though it may not feel any better yet. On another note: you could like kidnap the director’s family and demand a job. Tell him that you don’t have money, you don’t have a job, but what you do have is a particular set of skills…skills that could be a nightmare for someone like him.

BurnsProblem, nope I’m still in Asia right now but will be back in the States in a few days. Just decided to catch up on some e-mails and forum posts since it had been several weeks, and I need to sober up before I go to bed so I don’t wake up with a splitting headache!!

“I regret to inform you that I cannot accept your rejection at this time. As you might understand, I have received far more rejections than I can possibly handle at this particular moment, and, as such, your rejection is among those that I will not be able presently to honor. Please make plans for my arrival on Monday June 28, 2010 to assume the role of Chief Investment Officer, Global Equities at a base salary of $350,000 annually, plus 200% bonus potential for beating a benchmark consisting of 90d t-bills. Although this is an uncomfortable moment for both of us, many organizations take comfort in the fact that their rejections were among those offered by other highly respected organizations, and that many go on successfully to reject even better candidates for the most spurious of reasons. Sincerely yours, bchad, CIO, Global Equities”

^^ Nice one, BC. I’d love to have the cajones to use that one day.

Screwing up an interview directly with hiring manager doesn’t go well.

I feel for you, I recently had an interview, flew to NYC the night before, there wasn’t a direct flight so had to take 2 flights, reached hotel at 1 am and could not sleep because of anxiety. Next morning reached interview site, had 6 back to back interviews (all technical, with 3 of them extending over an hour) without any of them asking if I needed water. First interviewer was worst, he started interviewing me right from the reception desk. It was hard to concentrate in the last interview, but I knew somewhere in my mind that it has been more than 8 months since I started looking for a job, registered for CFA L2 and did not study( $600+ wasted) …and this kept me going. Hard times.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “I regret to inform you that I cannot accept your > rejection at this time. As you might understand, > I have received far more rejections than I can > possibly handle at this particular moment, and, as > such, your rejection is among those that I will > not be able presently to honor. Please make plans > for my arrival on Monday June 28, 2010 to assume > the role of Chief Investment Officer, Global > Equities at a base salary of $350,000 annually, > plus 200% bonus potential for beating a benchmark > consisting of 90d t-bills. > > Although this is an uncomfortable moment for both > of us, many organizations take comfort in the fact > that their rejections were among those offered by > other highly respected organizations, and that > many go on successfully to reject even better > candidates for the most spurious of reasons. > > Sincerely yours, > bchad, CIO, Global Equities” That is beautiful! I especially liked the benchmark! Made me laugh out loud.

Gauri, Didn’t you get an offer from some firm in NY? Care to share what you will be doing?

pupdawg82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Gauri, > > Didn’t you get an offer from some firm in NY? Care > to share what you will be doing? Yes it was the same interview, I got the Job…so efforts were paid off. Mid Office Quant at (GS,MS,JPM)

I forgot to add: “Your rejection will be put on file in the event that it should become useful at a later date.”

numi: Where in asia you visiting?

I blew one too if it helps you feel better. Great buy-side analyst position hiring for two on different teams. 6th interview was with a guy on the team that I liked a little better than the other and great sector - went long, got along great, and really got hyped for the job. 7th interview was with the PM’s for the other team. They came in as we were finishing up our conversation. They asked me what I thought about the positions and high off of the hype and excitement of the aforementioned other team I started to convey my interest in that position. I immediately started backpedaling 10 seconds into my pitch but the damage was done. They cancelled the other position and hired someone else for my #2 team… It happens - just learn from it bucko.

jcole - curious, what is your background like?

jpm351 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jcole - curious, what is your background like? Retail banking, just sat for LII, MSFinance, some experience with our bank investment team, 10.5d cap toe oxford indentation in my mouth from that interview. I know that wasn’t the deciding factor, but it certainly didn’t help. I was glad to get the shot though - good experience.

See I could never get a real job like you guys. In the first interview used to I tell my whole complete story and then I assume its that interviewer’s responsiblity to disseminate the information to subsequent interviewers. This makes any additional interveiws past the first one rather short.