Simulated Stock Portfolio

Does anyone know of a good website to setup a simulated stock portfolio. Perhaps Yahoo finance. I’d would like something that is free or a small cost.

I played around with investopedia in college. You can pretty much customize everything. It doesn’t let you write options though.

I’ve never used it, but several people in my office use Investopedia (free).

why simulate when there is the real deal out there? Would you rather play the SIMs than live your own life? Or is it impressive to say you “woulda” made all this money…sorry, I just dont get the excitement of it

stocktrak - google it

www.marketocracy.com

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > why simulate when there is the real deal out > there? Would you rather play the SIMs than live > your own life? Or is it impressive to say you > “woulda” made all this money…sorry, I just dont > get the excitement of it in business school they use these simulations. they make sense, since students are poor for the most part. and it can test your ideas, etc. one thing i found funny is that we had a lot of trash talkers enter the simulation then get wiped out. point is that beating the market is harder than it looks.

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > why simulate when there is the real deal out > there? Would you rather play the SIMs than live > your own life? Or is it impressive to say you > “woulda” made all this money…sorry, I just dont > get the excitement of it Maybe because someone doesn’t have a lot of money to make the kind of trades/bets/investments that they’d like to experiment with? Or maybe because they want to first experience the emotions associated with investing without risking real money? There are countless reasons… I use VirtualStockExchange from MarketWatch

I used a simulator in a class as well, and if there is one thing I know now it is that the “emotions” are not even remotely the same when you use real money. Its like saying Risk (the game) is a good way to experience the emotions of invading a country. Unless you are Bush, you probably would experience more/different thoughts in the real scenario. I hear ya daj on being a poor college kid or for a class, I just dont place a lot of weight on someone who made a killing on trading stuff he normally wouldnt have the balls to if it was real life (similar to the CNBC Portfolio Challenge).

why are you practicing something you’ve never done before with a simulator?? LOSER. you need to put your savings on the line and experience real trading emotions. that’s the smart way to start off. kind regards, guy from the internet

Why learn to drive in a parking lot and a simulator when you can just get behind the wheel and press the gas pedal? Practice is for sissies!

wow you got me there. As stated in my post, I undertand for a college class or someone without money to invest with. My post is targeted as saying that doesnt include the same emotions in my opinion. Also, I think simulators make it easy to make bets you wouldnt with real money…like if you were in your “automobile simulator”, driving 200mph might sound like a reasonably fun thing to do, but in real life probably not (especially if you rock my kind of car). And if you have the money then I think you should use it to learn with, why not? I think if I lost 25% I would learn more from what happened and learn from it rather than just giggling it off in my simulator, seeing that my balance is now only 7,500,000 or whatever. Maybe I am irrational thinking most people on this forum have invested before (as supersharpshooter states), and if thats the case then this forum is not as slick as I thought.

YES DEFINATELY…check out marketocracy.com. They pick the top 100 funds and use those stock picks to run a fund. I have been on the top 100 many times…it’s pretty nice I get a check in the mail for about $200 every quarter.

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I used a simulator in a class as well, and if > there is one thing I know now it is that the > “emotions” are not even remotely the same when you > use real money. Its like saying Risk (the game) is > a good way to experience the emotions of invading > a country. Unless you are Bush, you probably would > experience more/different thoughts in the real > scenario. I hear ya daj on being a poor college > kid or for a class, I just dont place a lot of > weight on someone who made a killing on trading > stuff he normally wouldnt have the balls to if it > was real life (similar to the CNBC Portfolio > Challenge). Of course it’s not the same MAGNITUDE of emotion and there isn’t anything on the line except pride, but you did get pretty pissed off when you made a wrong decision, correct?

TV I plan on using a practice portfolio once I get some spare time. I’ve never written or bought options and I would like to get a feel for them. I would assume practicing is better than just throwing real money off the bad. It’s like jumping into craps or roulette when you have no idea how the game works.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TV I plan on using a practice portfolio once I get > some spare time. I’ve never written or bought > options and I would like to get a feel for them. > > > I would assume practicing is better than just > throwing real money off the bad. It’s like > jumping into craps or roulette when you have no > idea how the game works. OptionsXpress has a pretty good virtual platform for what you’re looking for.

So do Interactive Brokers under their Paper Trading Account. It allows you to do simulated trading in real-time using all of their trading facilities. The caveat is you have to get approved to open a regular trading account with them and get it funded.

Trading on a sim versus trading in real life is like comparing apples to oranges. IMO, if you want a simulator, get a free trial account using a real trading platform. This way, you can actually watch the DOM, customize your charts any way imaginable, and get a “feel” for what happens to price before it turns.

signed up for marketocracy, now what to “buy” also, will i get penalized for shorting financials? ha