Sitting all day = back pain! Ideas?

Yoga has been good for me. Massage is nice too. If you can’t afford it, you might try once a month, just to put things back in place.

I have an ergonomic chair. Those are costly, but there are cheaper $10 kinds of things you can put on more ordinary chairs to provide lumbar support.

Standing desks are also nice, though after a few hours you might need to pull up a drafting chair.

These are all some ideas.

BTW, from a calorie burn standpoint, Vinyasa flow yoga turns out to be be better than Bikram. That was a surprise to me, since I like Vinyasa better than sweating it out in a hot room. The motions are probably better for you too.

How often are we talking as far as doing this stretches/exercises? If we’re talking 20 min or day, I honestly don’t think it’ll happen. If like a few minutes a day - I can handle it.

The reason I say this is because working out is super important to me and yet when I get back to college, I step foot into the gym maybe once a year due to time constraints. I get ripped over the summer though, and then slowly scrwaniatize over the school year, which sucks haha. So I doubt I’ll do any exercise if I takes too much time. Feel free to yell at me for how stupid that is, I am well aware.

My college town is freaking tiny and the craigslist is really limited, but I’ll give it a shot to buy a better chair. I’ll look into the foam rollers. Bed is too expensive, I’ll get a new/good one in June when I start working/after graduation.

Google for “Lumbar support” and see if you can find one that is inexpensive and works for you.

ಠ_ಠ

Some people in my office swear by these.

There are different brands and styles. You can get one at Target for $69.

Now you’re just trying to make him look retarded (keep it up).

@ the OP, try supermans for 5 minutues a day… and not the ones where you stick your sheets on the girl’s back (or your roomate’s depending on how the college women treat you)

http://www.workoutbox.com/exercises/back-exercises/superman-alternating/

I know, right? Ridiculous lol. Plus, I guess I wouldn’t want to spend 20 minutes a day doing exercises so that my back wont become as pained by a crappy chair that is clearly doing damage to my back. I see the exercises as more of a indirect solution to my problem with the source being the thing I am sitting on. I’ll look at lumbar support for the time being, maybe throw in a few superman’s here and there, until I can find a better chair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNN3K2qj-L0

Looks like a solid stretch plan.

Do bridge pose ( yoga) for 2-3 mins everyday. You will see result in just few days. It always works for me.

I saw a link on Yahoo today about stretching to help with lower back pain. Here is the video.

http://screen.yahoo.com/curing-lower-back-pain-050000501.html

Others already mentioned it, but the foam roller has worked wonders for me as a treatment for current pain. Strengthening your core will help prevent future problems. Even if you don’t feel like doing direct core work, just getting some exercise will likely help. I notice my back tends to feel much worse if I miss a few workouts in a row.

Deadlifts, Deadlifts, Deadlifts,

Mix in some stiff leg deadlifts and sumo deadlifts.

WARNING: Must know what you are doing or you will end up injuring yourself