Small Talk

In reality it gets way more specific than “hello”, “hello back” though. By asking these pointless questions as greetings (and by addressing strangers in general), they open the door to what they bitch about. Example…

Americans are constantly trying to make up generic answers that sound plausible to strangers (in other words lies, because the real answer is too strange/specific), for when they are probed by these retarded greetings. They get into elevators and feel nervous unless they make up something to say “wow, it’s so hot out there”, then you need to say something to that…or they freak out. But what do you say? “Oh I know, I was going to wash my car today, great day for a wax” (not true, you are staying indoors to play Diablo3). However it doesn’t end, because now you offered too much information…and it forces “oh, what kind of car? My wife just bought a ___”. The nonsense grows, though likely neither wants to be talking to the stranger…then they come on the internet and bitch about it. Or sports, jezus the sports talk.

This happens to me all the time in grocery stores. Anything I say to the cashier’s undesired questions, only leads to more specific questions, even if I clearly show that I am distracted and not interested in listening to their inquires, they continue on. Meanwhile everyone is waiting in line, please just STFU and ring up my groceries clerk. I do not wish to have a relationship with you.

I kinda like it when the hot chick in the elevator makes some comment about the weather. To each their own, I guess.

I would like that perhaps, except I don’t find any women in the USA hot, and in Asia where they are hot, people do not address strangers (unless they are insane).

Sir Bchad, you have patience I cannot fathom and an enviable eloquence. I wish to be like you when I grow up.

Edit: alas, I’m in no rush to do that. So back to drinking scotch and ignoring trolls. Last glass of Oban :frowning:

Just focus on the growing up part, one step at a time kiddo. wink

so small talk then :wink:

Theorizing while drinking my ice cold corona and lemon (where is the beer icon?)…

I wonder if it’s because of the whole “wild west” history? A feel of “folksy yeehaw”; you wander town, hit the grain store and chit chat, then into the tavern “how ya’ll dooin?”. To not identify oneself with a made up harmless manner/story, is to possibly be a threat in a violent lawless land “is you a injun?”.

Same deal today, if you do not give all the made up answers convincingly, you might be a terrorist…“ya’ll ain’t from around here is ya?” (suspicious look). Basically the Yankee’s culture evolved along a certain path, somewhat primitive if I were to be judgmental, it is essentially fear-based.

That’s what networking and getting laid is all about.

True. I’ve only made out with one chick without talking to her first.

Me too. Talking is so much more effective, why try anything else.