So did we all screw up in economics?

I’ve noticed a lot of <50% in the economics section of the December exam results. While it’s in the past and shouldn’t be bothering us I feel a little weird considering that I’m an economics graduate lol. Any opinions on why we didn’t do well there ?

I found that the questions in economics were on things that I decided to not study since I did not have enough time. Rather than testing the bigger points, many questions were on smaller points which I think many people would have not focused their studies on, if they were lacking some time to study ?

I feel most of the candidates assumed they can master the economics section just by practicing equations. Although equations were important but more important was to understand what a particular thing was and how would it affect other variables.

I got >70% in Eco and I absolutely ABHOR Economics. Economics was highly conceptual (as was the rest of the paper) rather than just plain equations.

econ was a nightmare. it isn’t proportionately weighted. too much material, too few questions

econs has always been candidates’ worst performing area I suppose ?

50-70 for me.

The Econ was tough because it was a ton of material. The econ book is the biggest one in L1 next to maybe only FRA. I am econ major as well in undergrad and thought it was difficult. Coming into it, I thought I would kill econ but struggled with it on mocks and the real thing. Think it is because it’s such a huge amount of material that econ covers.

Well i’m glad they ask few econ questions else i’d have been screwed big time!!

This is not the case for me. I realized that I could not score better for economics after doing a couple of mocks. I could not justify the idea of studying theories of hundred years ago. So, I decided to …let it go, meaning I did not put much efforts on economics. And the result reflects my decision nicely. I got 51-70% for economics whiles scored over 70% for the rest. I think my performance in the afternoon session “saved” the morning session. Maybe because I did all mock exams in the afternoon when studying…?

Same thing here. I felt I understood the concepts but struggled on the mocks. Towards the end however, my scores started to pick up and I felt better. I even read the secret sauce econs again the night before. Anyway, it’s done can’t change it heh

Same thing here. I felt I understood the concepts but struggled on the mocks. Towards the end however, my scores started to pick up and I felt better. I even read the secret sauce econs again the night before. Anyway, it’s done can’t change it heh

I tend to do worse in conceptual questions than in quantitative oriented ones. Even though alot of non Econ questions were conceptual in wording, I could tie them in my mind to something with numbers which helped me grasp what the answer was. In econ, it’s hard for me to do that since, I’ve always struggled with it. Hell, even going back to HS, AP Econ was the one AP I studied the most for and I still ended up getting a 4.

got 70% in all sections including eecon. wasnt much worried about econ tbh

me too, got C for economics, don’t know why

Wait till you guys see Level II econ… *yukh*

Me too. I got hiccup in econ!

Did really bad at the first mock exam on Eco, so restudy the whole section. This exam got > 70%. But I agree, it was not easy at all…

I got <50% in Econ, I was an Econ major in college, seems to be a common theme. I found there to be a bit of a discrepancy between the schweser and CFAI text/EOC ?'s for econ. Schweser was more conceptual, micro based whereas the CFAI seemed much more macro, econometric based. Maybe its just me…