So I got an offer...

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A Charterholder just earning 65K … shucks!!! yep I was thinking the same but I guess that is not the right time to be picky :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

You have to put this into context, $65K for someone who’s just “entering” the ER field isn’t out of line, especially with so many jobs cut in the industry. If you have the discipline to last two years, under admittedly harsh conditions, then your opportunities expand greatly after those two years. Hopefully, the economy picks up by then.

Being a Charterholder, you should never ever accept an offer with a pay cut compared to what you make now. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Neud Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Being a Charterholder, you should never ever > accept an offer with a pay cut compared to what > you make now. It just doesn’t make any sense. I don’t think the CFAI will pay him a pension if he loses his current job in 3 month. So between Unemployed Vs. Pay cut, I would take the pay cut.

I wouldn’t. If you’re a charterholder, you may find good well-paying job - as you have knowledge, and experience. This designation is recognized accross the globe well enough, so if you are not lucky seeking for job in your country, why not consider going abroad?

i posted this in WSO, but wanted to link it here in case you don’t check that other board often… i talked to a couple of recruiters about distressed/HY research in general, and based on what they told me, it’s reaffirmed my belief that your compensation is below average but not way out of line. the firm you’re talking about is a relatively small bank, you come from a somewhat non-traditional background (i.e. non-banking) and the position is for LA, which on average will not pay as well as SF or NY. on average, one would make more money doing buy-side research than one would on the sell-side, probably by an order of at least 20-25%. in your case, i think you should consider a number of things including what the posters above mentioned, which include (1) the future of distressed/HY investments, (2) exit opportunities, (3) your current employment situation, and (4) other available opportunities. if you think you’d like doing that type of research, then that should be a positive factor since there should be a lot of market activity in distressed and restructuring businesses in the coming years and i’m sure you’ll learn a lot whether you’re on the sell-side or the buy-side. it also appears that your current employment situation is unlikely to improve and will probably rapidly degrade, and i don’t assume you have other available options right now since you would have said so if you did. basically, i think we can agree that compensation is below average, but what matters more is how much you would like the work, and how important it is for you to be employed rather than unemployed. just don’t get too caught up in the comp issue, because i think unemployment is a very real thing in this market unless you have some real conviction that something better will come along. not intended to scare, just trying to be realistic, and only you know the answer to that. let us know how things go

asdffdsa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > are you the same ryguy that posts on another forum? What’s your username on the “other” site? I’ll pm you.

does anyone take a job at Blackrock for PAG Analyst night shift (11pm - 9am)? How many people are in the office exactly?

ryguy904 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > asdffdsa Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > are you the same ryguy that posts on another > forum? > > > What’s your username on the “other” site? I’ll pm > you. i don’t post, i just read and happened to remember your name. you seem to have a pretty competitive profile – good luck with the process.

numi; i’m going to shoot you another e-mail tonight

You’re in a crappy job market for finance, you’re on a near-term track towards unemployment, you’re being offered a position that will provide higher all-in compensation than you made this year, the position has a reasonable career path attached and would provide good experience. If you don’t take this job you’re making a nearly comical mistake and stand a fairly good chance of being unemployed for some indefinite amount of time or accepting an inferior or comprable employment situation after much additional effort and hand-wringing. Suck it up, don’t be too proud to take a pay cut when it’s the best alternative availible. Or at least that’s my advice.

FIAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi; i’m going to shoot you another e-mail > tonight sure, anytime

newsmaker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > If you don’t take this job you’re making a nearly > comical mistake and stand a fairly good chance of > being unemployed for some indefinite amount of > time or accepting an inferior or comprable > employment situation after much additional effort > and hand-wringing. Suck it up, don’t be too proud > to take a pay cut when it’s the best alternative > availible. > > Or at least that’s my advice. Considering it’s 13 hour days starting at 4:30 am, I don’t know that it’s comical to turn it down. I certainly wouldn’t work those hours.

It is comical to accept an offer to work from 4-30 am for ridiculously low pay. if it was an offer for Dubai or something (where there are no income taxes), it might have been worth considering.

I’m guessing Wedbush

Neud Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It is comical to accept an offer to work from 4-30 > am for ridiculously low pay. > if it was an offer for Dubai or something (where > there are no income taxes), it might have been > worth considering. I would actually take this offer any time over anything from Dubai. Taking an offer in Dubai is like selling a call option on your professional future. I don’t feel like the original poster feels like he’s near the end of his career, but rather that he wants to acquire more skills and eventually move on to the buy side.

Taking an offer in Dubai is like selling a call option on your professional future. Why would you say that? Do you think the person will no longer be hirable? Dubai is known for attracting a lot of new grads, engineers, etc. because their economy is booming currently.