So Now What?

I recently graduated (last month) with Undergraduate in Math/Stats. Do you guys think passing L1 would add value in job search. I haven’t had a chance to even apply as I was busy for preparing for L1. Is it a good idea to mention candidacy in resume or should I wait until I receive my grade. thanks

I’m considering CTP or CDIA/CFSA for these two months…This is my toughest week as i am taking three exams in a row (CFA L-1, Mathematical Economics, Microeconomic Theory-1)…as I get free…A week’s rest…and here we go again

@hasnain Is CTP of any worth here in Pakistan?

@spartan262 thanks for the encouragement. Yes I did a ton of questions…but showing up on an exam day is a different story. I bombed Quant and Ethics on the first exam. Still haunting me…I needed a huge effort in the afternoon, I did well in the PM but its all compartive. I was surprised on how many people didn’t study harder…ie like 3 weeks or a month no prep etc…didn’t any of their friends tell them? But I don’t think that was the majority. I am still hitting some of the books in 2 weeks…if by some weird luck I did pass, Level 2 demands a good base from Level 1. As my friend put it to me, Level 2 is Level 1 on steroids.

I’m ordering Level 2 study material in the next few weeks - I’m not registering for 2011, but want to start looking them over. During the next year, instead of L2, I am, like nickfaulkner, studying for the CPA exams. Also enrolled in a Masters of Accounting program. After I pass those, I’ll come back and wrap up 2 and 3. Other than that, I guess I’ll have to find a hobby, remember how to enjoy a drink with friends, and spend some time outside.

SpyAli Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @hasnain > Is CTP of any worth here in Pakistan? I don’t know but I am impressed with its standards…if no CE you lose your CTP in three years(something that even CFA doesn’t match up)…75% pass score…one sitting…thoroughness…CFSA (securities) is also another good option I am looking to cover…

I am CPA and just took the CFA Level 2. To sum it up, the financial reporting section of the CPA exam tests pension, foreign currency translation, intercorporate investment which overlaps with CFA. However, CFA goes deeper in those categories so even with a CPA, you will still have to prepare diligently to clear the accounting section of CFA level 2.

@spyAli here is a chart for salary range for CTP in US http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Certification=Certified_Treasury_Professional_(CTP)/Salary

@thegames Become an actuary.

tmjones2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nickfaulkner Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > sumz, I appreciate your input but you’re wrong. > > The CPA, coupled with a CFA, is what all the > top > > bankers are going for in my company (morgan > > stanley). MBA is a given these days… > > > > Although if you are on the sell-side a cpa is > > useless but for buy side it is priceless. > > > i think sumz was trying to say that the cpa exam > won’t help you much for the level 2 exam, not that > being a CPA is a waste of time. THANKS!! Yup I just said that don’t start CPA thinking it would help in FRA Level 2 of CFA. It won’t really. The stalla video instructor said that pension accounting in Level 2 is not even regularly used by CPAs.

I’ve got the permission from my department for CTP…I’ll be taking this in Nov Inshallah and then preparation will start for June CFA attampt

I am also a CPA and just took Level 1. I think the CPA test is similar to the CFA in that they are both very detailed and take a lot of time to prepare for, but are different in that the CPA concentrates more on how to perform detailed transactions (ie, journal entries etc.) and the CFA concentrates more on how those entries affect the financial statements as a whole. I think the Financial portion on the CPA exam will help you with the FRA sections of the CFA, but you will still have to spend a decent amount of time reviewing the FRA material for the CFA. Just my opinion.

@hasnain0099 The salary scale of CTPs are just awesome but i seriously doubt if it would be of any worth in our country. If you are planning to move out or study just for the sake of knowledge then surely this will gonna help. Are you working in some treasury of a bank?

SpyAli Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @hasnain0099 > The salary scale of CTPs are just awesome but i > seriously doubt if it would be of any worth in our > country. If you are planning to move out or study > just for the sake of knowledge then surely this > will gonna help. Are you working in some treasury > of a bank? I am an analyst with reserve management in SBP

Check out the Certificate in Quantitative Finance (CQF). It’s new, but it’s hardcore. Check out the general forum for some discussions on this. Keep in mind the CQF isn’t meant for anyone who didn’t coast through university with straight 90s in stats/math courses. I would also like to add that although pursuing continuing education is great, getting a CPA + CFA holds really marginal value at any level. You’d be better taking modeling courses from Wall Street Prep, or workshops on Financial Statement Analysis.

I took the wallstreetprep course as part of my training. It is helpful but it’s not widely known. Wallstreetprep is pretty useless if you analyze private companies too.

Im trying to get my company to use Wallstreetprep services for a corporate training/development opportunity…

Nick - who do you work for and what do yo do?

Morgan Stanley- my division isn’t typical I guess… We invest in Chinese infrastructure projects with IRRs above 20% but stable cash flows. Funny thing is, EVERY company in China has something like that- but none of them are very truthful so we have to do mad DD. Anyway, I loved wallstreetprep- I had a friend who taught the courses in Boston and he is uber-intelligent.

ok, so I guess I cant say W.A.L.L.S.T.R.E.E.T.P.R.E.P for some reason??? that’s odd…