So these guys were living in a bunker for ten years?

“MOSCOW (Reuters) - Seventy members of an Islamist sect who have been living in an underground bunker without heat or sunlight for nearly a decade have been discovered living on the outskirts of the city of Kazan in Russia, local media reported.”

http://news.yahoo.com/underground-sect-found-nearly-decade-russias-kazan-003712475.html

Wait what? Is this for real?

man that would suck…no wonder they become suicide bombers…

This sounds like a movie I saw in the 90’s… except they were US

^ Yep.

“The group was named after its 83-year-old organizer Fayzrahman Satarov, who declared himself a prophet and his house an independent Islamic state”

if you’re a nutcase who feels the need to declare your house an independent state, there is no need to be all secretive about it in an underground bunker. theres like a gazillion semi-autonomous republics within russia that are pretty much on their own, and the russian government wont bother exercising too much control over some wild siberian wasteland with self-proclaimed autonomy as long as you dont go too millitaristic and try declare war on china or something like this.

So if they’ve never seen sunlight, what’d they eat?

I suppose they must have had preserved food rations.

What did they eat? Mushrooms, maybe? 10 years is a long time for rations to hold out.

More importantly, what did they drink?

My warped mind immediately went to “What did they do for ‘fun’?” Then in the first few sentences my question is answered with there being an 18 month old baby and a pregnant 17 yo.

It wasn’t a sealed bunker. Some went above ground, but many were forbidden to.

It was all for nothing at the end. I wonder if they felt it was worth it.