So when am I a CFA?

(Yes, I realize I used CFA as a noun. So sue me.) I joined CFAI as a regular member last year, had my experience approved, and just passed L3. MyCFA website says “CFA charter pending”, but I don’t really know what that means. I thought once you passed L3 you got to use CFA letters pretty much immediately. Is that not the case?

I’m in the same boat. I thought the same. But here I wait. It’s killing me that they are still calling me a “candidate.”

I’m normally more patient, but my employer gives an automatic raise for attaining CFA. But HR wants to see formal documentation before they process the raise. So every day that goes by I am missing out on $$.

Same boat, but I’ve also had trouble with the website recently. Anyone else having trouble logging in?

Same boat…anxious waiting for this to be official. Saw another thread where someone said they’re going to officially award the charter starting on Sept. 1st. I guess an email goes out confirming that you’re a charterholder. Would be nice to see it online…ie, CFA after your name in the directory.

Did you ask CFAI???

They will start sending out e-mails 9/1/2010 letting you know that you can refer to yourself as a CFA charterholder.

I asked CFAI but no response (yet). Why would it take 2.5 weeks to notify? Maybe I’m nitpicking but shouldn’t it not take very long to see what regular members passed level 3?

Actuary Guy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I asked CFAI but no response (yet). > > Why would it take 2.5 weeks to notify? Maybe I’m > nitpicking but shouldn’t it not take very long to > see what regular members passed level 3? See also: grading Level 1 and 2 exams.

I e-mailed them regarding this topic and got the following response: “Thank you so much for checking with us on this matter. You have completed all steps needed to receive your CFA charter. The 2010 charter awards will begin after 1 September 2010. New CFA charterholders do not have to wait for an official confirmation letter; however, before using the CFA designation, you must check your online profile. If the CFA designation appears after your name in your profile that would be confirmation that the charter has been awarded. Passing the Level III exam is a significant achievement, but the designation cannot be used until all requirements are met. New charterholders will also receive an email confirmation. We hope this information is helpful and please let us know if you have other questions.” So I guess we just need to wait until our online profile changes, or we get an e-mail confirmation - whatever comes first.

cb513 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So I guess we just need to wait until our online > profile changes, or we get an e-mail confirmation > - whatever comes first. yes this is the exact same information i got on the phone from CFAI. Have to wait until after September 1st.

it’s only a week later than last year. We just can’t wait to see the directory updated - lol!

Just curious, did you have to ask for it? Did you have to wait for the year end to talk about the raise or right on the spot? I was planning on renegotiating that at the time of performance appraisal. Actuary Guy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m normally more patient, but my employer gives > an automatic raise for attaining CFA. But HR > wants to see formal documentation before they > process the raise. So every day that goes by I am > missing out on $$.

sleepybird Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just curious, did you have to ask for it? Did you > have to wait for the year end to talk about the > raise or right on the spot? I was planning on > renegotiating that at the time of performance > appraisal. > We have a formal policy. It happens as soon as charter awarded.

you are never a CFA. You may become a CFA charterholder.