Societe Generale?

Hello, I may have something coming pretty soon with this firm (a director position) Can someone share some insights? Basically, I am curious to find out: 1. Corporate Culture? More like GS? MS? JPM? DB? C? BAC? 2. Hours on average 9? 10? 11? 12? hrs a day? 3. Colleagues More like GS (bright and aggressive)? Or??? 4. Comp What’s the composition of the comp? Also, what would be the growth rate to expect? Thank you.

Hello, I have been working in SG in New York. I am French I dont know about american banks but Corporate culture may be different. Traders work from 8:30 AM to 7 PM. Sales may start early in the morning if they have British customers but they usually leave at 5PM. I was working as a trading assistant from 9:30 to 7PM or later. However it depends on which desk you are working. Colleagues were not aggressive (it does not mean they are not bright !) I cant tell about compensation cause people do not talk a lot about it (French culture).

Thanks a lot! Sorry I don’t mean to say that aggressivenesss translates into being bright. My apology for creating such an impression. What is the overall title structure? Is it common to have a title such as director or VP? How does the performance review? (360 degree?) Also I am wondering how the career development is conducted/mentored? Apologize for so many questions. Just want to get an non-HR view on these.

I was just kidding about the “bright” part. :wink: I stayed there only 8 months as an intern. I dont know about performance review and career development. However I am pretty sure than Director title is not common. VP title looks to me more common (most of the traders and sales were VP, one was Director).

I’m not from Soc Gen, but I deal with them regularly. It seems like half of their NY staff is imported from France. Some of the girls are quite pretty. Also, the sales people I know definitely stay until after 5 PM… so I guess it depends on the desk. No idea about compensation, but is there any reason why it would not be comparable to other companies? Most people are not directors. VP and associates are quite common. That’s my superficial outsider view, anyway.

Thank you. Since this is a French bank and I’ve never worked for a French bank in US before, I would like to find out more about it before I make my decision. Over the past few years, I feel corporate culture dictates a lot on whether you like the firm or not. Although individual areas may vary, the overall firm’s strategy and vision may eventually direct your career progression. I hope there are more insights from this forum.

Just a post to people in this forum … taking this job is one of the worst decisions I’ve made in my career … actually, the only one so far … The firm is for French people or people who speak French. When it comes to cut, if you’re in Paris office, no matter how retarded you are, you’re safe … I am still holding on this job but I think I will move on when the tide turns … hope it’s not going to take long …

Might have something to do with the Euro crisis. Soc Gen is not coming through so well…

Well the CEO was just out and about saying they weren’t that exposed to the periphery. OP could have just been referring to other factors, such as the pro-French bias.

Glad to hear that they are still hiring. Bullish?

jmh530 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well the CEO was just out and about saying they > weren’t that exposed to the periphery. OP could > have just been referring to other factors, such as > the pro-French bias. I know he was referring to other issues, just pointing out that this has not been the best year for SCGLY. The people at BAC are not in the greatest mood either. Jan 2011 - SCGLY @ 11.15 Sep 2011 - SCGLY @ 4.80

chaucy1999 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just a post to people in this forum … taking > this job is one of the worst decisions I’ve made > in my career … actually, the only one so far > … > > The firm is for French people or people who speak > French. When it comes to cut, if you’re in Paris > office, no matter how retarded you are, you’re > safe … > > I am still holding on this job but I think I will > move on when the tide turns … hope it’s not > going to take long … I only have 2nd hand knowledge, but 3 friends work in the US for non-US firms and all 3 say that the majority of the US employees are effectively 2nd class citizens who are viewed as a necessary evil. I suspect it is the same for US firms with operations outside the US though.

Sorry I cannot agree with that. I did an internship there and work with French people and American people and the atmosphere was really good. DISCLAIMER : I am French and I am currently working in another bank higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > chaucy1999 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Just a post to people in this forum … taking > > this job is one of the worst decisions I’ve > made > > in my career … actually, the only one so far > > … > > > > The firm is for French people or people who > speak > > French. When it comes to cut, if you’re in > Paris > > office, no matter how retarded you are, you’re > > safe … > > > > I am still holding on this job but I think I > will > > move on when the tide turns … hope it’s not > > going to take long … > > > I only have 2nd hand knowledge, but 3 friends work > in the US for non-US firms and all 3 say that the > majority of the US employees are effectively 2nd > class citizens who are viewed as a necessary evil. > I suspect it is the same for US firms with > operations outside the US though.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I only have 2nd hand knowledge, but 3 friends work > in the US for non-US firms and all 3 say that the > majority of the US employees are effectively 2nd > class citizens who are viewed as a necessary evil. > I suspect it is the same for US firms with > operations outside the US though. This. And also, if you’re an ex-pat working for an Asian firm in Asia, you are also a second class citizen, even if you speak the local language. Not everyone shares the multicultural sentiment common in the US.

Agree with all of the above. I have never worked for one of these companies, but I have managed money for them and had meetings with them. I recall a meeting with a Dutch finance company where there were maybe 12 people at the table, including me and another person from my company. 8 of the 10 people from the Dutch company were from the US and the meeting was in the US. In the middle of the meeting the two Dutch people, who speak English better than most Americans, start speaking Dutch to each other. So rude. Anyway, there are two things I abhor: intolerance for other cultures and the Dutch.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So rude. Anyway, there are two things I abhor: intolerance for other cultures and the Dutch. You should also beware of the Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen - freaking dutch people.

Loup_Fenrir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sorry I cannot agree with that. > I did an internship there and work with French > people and American people and the atmosphere was > really good. > > DISCLAIMER : I am French and I am currently > working in another bank > I’m sure there are plenty of folks who have wonderful experiences working for “foreign” firms in their home country. As I said, my knowledge is completely 2nd hand and the sample set is small. It is only natural for people to “favor”, knowingly or not, co-workers or subordinates who are most like themselves though. Common backgrounds and shared experiences go a long way. Why do you think the top b-school alumni networks are so valuable? I have never worked overseas, but I suspect the pull toward the people “from home” is quite strong.

I can comment on the French corporate culture…Nothing gets done unless approval is obtained from Paris. In order to be successful at any French bank, at the minimum, you need to speak French (regardless of which office you are based in) and at best you need an understanding of the French way of life: language, food, wine, French psyche, the grande ecole system, etc… You need to be a Francophile. It is not unusual to have a meeting start in English and drift mid-way into French and to finish in English. Most Anglophones dont like it, but I actually do. Instead of bitching about the “Anglophones vs Francophone” culture at foreign offices of French banks, I say become a Francophile and you will be indispensable. All the best!

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Some of the girls are quite pretty. Please expand more on this particular characteristic of SocGen… Oh I just realized this was from many months ago. Still, if anyone would like to give more insight on this it would be most enlightening.