Sorry, but a CFA alone will not get you a job

P4ps Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yep anyone to post some positive thoughts about > the meaning of spending another 300 hours on > level III? > > Please? Here’s how to think about it. There are certain kinds of apes that walk around with erect pen1ses to display their position in the ape pecking order. Qualifications like the CFA charter are the finance world’s equivalent of adding length to your ape pen1s. To an ape, having a 4" erect pen1s is better than having a 3" erect pen1s - it’s a gradual scale. Getting the CFA charter adds an inch to your “banker pen1s”. It does not allow you to transcend your current definition, but it does help move you up the ladder a little bit.

P4ps Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yep anyone to post some positive thoughts about > the meaning of spending another 300 hours on > level III? Do or do not, there is no try? If you are committed to do certain thing (in this case, obtaining your CFA charter), go all the way.

I don’t see the point of this. Theres not really any general designations that will absolutely guarrantee you a job, but they certainly help

Its true… CFA alone will not get you a job. However, if you get an analyst job in Canada, they will request you to get the CFA. You will end up taking the CFA in either case.

Alchemist1320 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Guys…spare me > > I have literally put in my 8 precious months ( 4 > for each level)…only to realize it is not adding > much weight to my CV > > now have no motivation left for L-3 > > so plz dont post like this…let me clear L-3 > > hope to become a model case for “why not to do a > CFA” :slight_smile: Yea I started realizing this last year, however I’d rather do it and say it wasn’t necessary, than not do it and say I wish I did it. There is never too much knowledge, but there is never enough.

> > Yea I started realizing this last year, however > I’d rather do it and say it wasn’t necessary, than > not do it and say I wish I did it. There is never > too much knowledge, but there is never enough. I agree and CFA at the end of my name will look cool. + I am saving money while I am staying home and studying Cheer up!

Its not about CFA alone. If you have an attitude you will do well with CFA else even a PhD won’t help you. Tell me one thing that will work for sure.

Steroids.

Harvard Business School.

You may all complain but at least most of you are living in countries where CFA is known… I live in France and let me tell that there will lots of time before HR people learn what it means.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Agree with above. I’ve met quite a few bankers and > analysts in my city through the CFA program (and > was luckily even offered a job). In addition, I’ve > met people through AF in the CFA program in New > York and I don’t even live in America. I hope the CFA society in my city would be as active as the one in NYC. They have not held any events for more than a half year.

Organize the event yourself, then put it on your resume. Perfect example of how initiative and networking will trump letters after your name. On a related note, I don’t think people realize how much effort it takes to be succesful in finance. You don’t just take some tests and get handed a 200K gig on your way to seven figure annual salaries. If you want to be great, realize it’s a life long pursuit and start hustling.