Sorry, but a CFA alone will not get you a job

http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/newsandviews_item/newsItemId-20508 Sorry, but a CFA alone will not get you a job 15 September 2009 Sarah Butcher As the number of CFA candidates swells, so too say recruiters, does the number of people who think they can get a job simply by virtue of having passed all or part of the accreditation. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case. “I have a large and increasing number of candidates who apply thinking that having a CFA will allow them to move into financial services from a completely unrelated job,” says James Heath, managing director of recruitment firm Greenwich Partners. Heath says CFAs are popular, for example, among management consultants who aspire to become equity researchers. However, banks are more interested in on the job experience of financial analysis than the accreditation. “The CFA is a great qualification, but it needs to be combined with practical analytical experience,” says Heath. “Very few clients will actually request a CFA, but if a candidate has passed CFA exams and has relevant experience, it will be a bonus.” Rupert Reed, managing director of asset management search firm Godliman Partners, says the CFA isn’t mandatory but that is advisable. “It’s more the case that if you don’t have one you’ll be disadvantaged. Most young asset management professionals have the CFA now.”

The job news gets better and better everyday.

This was always the case. Get your CFA/MBA, work hard, get experience, and you will be successful. CFA is an arrow in the quiver, not the end-all be-all qualification!

“The CFA is a great qualification, but it needs to be combined with practical analytical experience,” says Heath. “Very few clients will actually request a CFA, but if a candidate has passed CFA exams and has relevant experience, it will be a bonus.” This doesn’t really make sense to me… Is this article saying that passing all three exams alone won’t get you a job?? Because as we all know, to put those magical three letters after your name you need relevant work experience. So for them to say “passing the tests is great but is nothing with out experience”, really isn’t saying anything about the Charter at all. Make sense? NOTE*: I’m not saying the Charter alone will get you a job, just pointing out a weak point in the article’s argument.

As one person I connect with has said (and he said it well), completing three levels of CFA exam would provide you with the opportunity to network with people in the field. (This shows to them you are at least as good as them.) So I believe it’s more proper to consider networking with people as part of the CFA experience.

Agree with above. I’ve met quite a few bankers and analysts in my city through the CFA program (and was luckily even offered a job). In addition, I’ve met people through AF in the CFA program in New York and I don’t even live in America.

But will CFA get me into business school??? :wink:

Yes, and is anyone here from Canada

There is a Toronto L3 study group. Check the Hookup section.

What else is new…CFA doesn’t teach you many technical or any soft skills. And yea you can have 4 years of experience, but experience that qualifies for CFA might not even compare to what big banks and funds expect.

I wouldn’t overestimate “what big banks and funds expect”. Or at least what the folks there are able to do, notwithstanding what they might expect.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wouldn’t overestimate “what big banks and funds > expect”. Or at least what the folks there are > able to do, notwithstanding what they might > expect. oh yea agree, I’m not saying one would not be able to do it, it’s just the expectation is that one can bring acquired knowledge, connections and ideas. And none of them are part of CFA curriculum. I talked to a recruiter about how tough it is to get a trading or analyst type job, and he said for every position there are 40 much more qualified candidates.

Totally BS! Many MBAs don’t have practical analytical experience and they can get a job in Finance. Some hedge funds even hire athletes.

you can get a job even after high school, cfafrank. CFA may help but it is not the wild card to get you a 200k job.

All I see is they use CFA is a noun. Breaks my heart.

Hey Guys…spare me I have literally put in my 8 precious months ( 4 for each level)…only to realize it is not adding much weight to my CV now have no motivation left for L-3 so plz dont post like this…let me clear L-3 hope to become a model case for “why not to do a CFA” :slight_smile:

They don’t mean that the CFA is worthless. This is just to dispel the belief that it will guarantee you a job, when in reality, it is just a component of your overall application.

Alchemist1320 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey Guys…spare me > > I have literally put in my 8 precious months ( 4 > for each level)…only to realize it is not adding > much weight to my CV > > now have no motivation left for L-3 > > so plz dont post like this…let me clear L-3 > > hope to become a model case for “why not to do a > CFA” :slight_smile: Getting into finance is not a 1 D Business. Keep going dude …see you there.

Yep anyone to post some positive thoughts about the meaning of spending another 300 hours on level III? Please?

How about this - you made it this far, go hard or go home.