South Korea

10 days sound a lot for Seoul only unless you combine your trip with a plastic surgery.

@NaNa: Things are cheap and poor quality only when compared to those of Japan (I am a big fan of Japanese products, btw). Personally I think Korean things are good in general, not poor quality.

Korea is as hard as China if you can’t communicate in their native tongue on a basic level. Going to a local joint and describing what you want can become a frustruating experience and will reduce you to pointing at pictures on their menu. If you’re a self-proclaimed wealthy dude who prefers to stay in a 5-star hotel while mustering the courage to venture down to the restaurant in the lobby to try Korean BBQ every night while interacting with people who look and act like you then it’s easy to get by on English. For some reason a lot of people do this and then brag about their ‘expat’ lifestyle while their experience with the local culture is almost null.

OP - If you’re main concern is nightlife then why Korea especially considering the Phi-Phi islands in Thailand are nearby? Korea is still a conservative country comparatively and people by and large stay with their parents so you better have a) solid logistics b) a love hotel booked.

Stay away from the American bases. A lot of the bars around the area are directly involved in the human trafficking business that caters to the demand for American GI’s and ‘scoring’ there is just a dickish thing to do.

Korea is a tiny country so there is no need to limit yourself to Seoul. People say the powder quality is excellent so if you’re going at the right time of the year give snowboarding a shot and the mud festival is pretty cool if you haven’t done somthing similiar before.

*your

Real men visit North Korea.

^ been there, done that - not a joke. Not that far inside though, just bordering villages//towns with the study group. Enough to realise the difference b/w real world and nk.

I kid you not, once we were taken back to our hotel in seoul - I was just staring at all the colour and lights around me. Its extremely hard to explain how much of a difference being a grey world could make (albeit for one short day).

To this day, whenever I hear of news from korea - I can’t help but be thankful for the fact that I wasn’t born in NK.

I hope someday, someone will sort that country out for good.

^Did you witness anyone getting shot with a big ass missile?

I don’t know what an ass missile is, but it sounds much worse to die from being blasted by ass milssiles compared to normal missiles.

Actually big asses don’t technically shoot missiles.

^They accept them though.

I’m going to need some source citations or photo evidence on that.

This is great timing…

I can’t link for obvious reasons, but I highly encourage everyone that’s not easy offended (or just likes great NSFW content) to take out their phones and follow these instructions:

1. Go to Reddit

2. Take a look at this chick’s submitted posts - /u/krittypryde (just add that to the end of reddit.com and click on submitted posts)

3. The relevant post should still be at the top of her list…something about a pool toy. Just watch.

OBVIOUSLY THIS IS NSFW

Realistically Itaewon is your best bet. This is the foreigner/nightlife district, clubs accept non-Asians, the party goes all night every night, Koreans get crazy wasted, English is poor in Korea but decent in this district, and it’s also where local chicks go to meet a foreigner. Hongdae is good, only if you are young (early/mid 20s). Gangnam is okay. Outside of these three, don’t bother. Something foreigners don’t seem to get – Koreans do not talk to strangers, and anyone who would do so is “low class”, so meeting anyone is difficult and requires following the slow awkward local culture of introductions and such. Itaewon is a bit different since they know foreigners do not play by these rules, but most locals will still not know quite how to interact with new people. Be patient.

Also if anyone in your group is black or non-white, understand there is massive racism in Korea. Occasionally it will work in your favor; I took a group out partying where one dude had a big fat TURBAN. The chicks loved it and kept wanting to touch it, he was the star of the dance floor. But mostly non-Asian non-Whites are considered less than full homo sapien, especially blacks. Just being blunt, it’s how it is… There are a ton of clubs in the central Itaewon area, can’t remember them all, and they are always changing. Up the hill there is JJ’s at the Grand Hyatt. Some people like that, on a good night it’s entertaining, but expensive drinks.

For some reason i’ve heard more White people comment about racism in East Asia than the people supposedly at the end of it. Maybe you dudes really are horribly self-obsessed :slight_smile:

Was he a Sikh ? Those guys get a horrible deal being mistaken for Taliban when in reality they are simply some of the most fantastic people you can hope to find. Brilliant religion as well. If he had moves like this , I’m not surprised.

Not sure what it has to do with being self-obsessed. It exists; racism against whites and blacks in East Asia. Plenty of whites, blacks and asians observe it exists, because it does.