Southeast jobs

I am currently searching for an equity analyst position in the southeast. Most websites (efinancialcareers, etc) have job postings outside my geographical preference (for the most part). I am aware that there are many boutique firms in the south; however, finding them has proved to be difficult. Is there a mutual fund screener or any other source to help me find an equity analyst position in the south??

I am in the Southeast- Florida specifically- and I think what you’re seeing is indicative of the overall market. What areas in particular are you looking into?

Atlanta has the best market in the Southeast, hands down. Can’t beat the real estate prices either.

i work at a boutique firm in atlanta, and our last four hires have been thru monster or local cfa societies. if u r already in the southeast, it will be a good idea to join/visit the local society and go to the meetings for networking contacts.

I’m in a boutique firm in ATL as well. Since most of the shops here are small boutiques, they’re not going to have too much recruiting budget. Attend the ASFA meetings and try to network from there. Also, Suntrust Robinson Humphrey will also be a good route.

Tampa-St. Pete have a number of fixed income outposts

I would like to find a boutique firm that specializes in small cap, but anywhere I can hone my equity analyst skills will work. I hear about a lot of firms (I am in Jacksonville), but it seems as if the small ones don’t even have a website.

Do you have any experience? It sound like you’re looking for entry level, is that correct? First off, the Southeast, namely Florida, is a tough, tough market for this type of work. The infrastructure for Finance in general isn’t very good compared to the Northeast. If you are looking for entry-level equity analyst work, I am of the opinion the sell side is where you’ll find it. Quite honestly, the buyside usually doesn’t have all that much time/need for it. In Florida the only real game in town for that is Raymond James in Tampa/St. Pete. After that your best bet might be some of the Trust departments that are active in Florida such as Northern Trust, SunTrust/Trustco and Wachovia/Evergreen. Franklin Templeton has a pretty large operation in Fort Lauderdale but I don’t think they have a lot of true research being done there. There is a company in Jacksonville called Intrepid Capital that I have seen on TV, etc. I think they run some mutual funds. They have a website. There are some buyside opps. that pop up here and there and I would echo watching the CFAI Jobline like a hawk for those but you have to keep in mind that a TON of people will be looking for those. I mean if you were taking the subway in NYC you’d kill for a job in FL wouldn’t you? I can’t speak all that well to ATL because I am not there but I hear there’s more there. Also in Charlotte if you consider that SE.

I’m in the Tampa/Sarasota area looking for finance jobs. I’ve kinda got the same problem, not much in the way of jobs going on around here. As BOMC said, it seems the only big fish down here is Raymond James. I’m just hoping that if I continue to try to get into there, that some companies and MBA programs will actually recognize the company RJ as a quality institution even though it isn’t GS or ML.

Plenty of firms and MBA programs recognize RJ as a legitimate shop. I know a few people who have worked there and have gone on to top grad schools and buyside jobs. Check out some of the analyst rankings out of that firm. They’re competitive.

BOMC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Plenty of firms and MBA programs recognize RJ as a > legitimate shop. > > I know a few people who have worked there and have > gone on to top grad schools and buyside jobs. > > Check out some of the analyst rankings out of that > firm. They’re competitive. My impression is that their equity research platform is solid, and while they have an investment banking platform…it is definitely not on par with their equity research, as compared to peers.

That is correct. Their I-Bank is limited because they don’t do debt, which is odd. The ER is pretty solid as you said.