spare time sector research for fun

after investing in random companies that i either know someone at or just happen to come across , i have decided that it may be beneficial to start learning about a specific sector, industry, asset class etc…I am not making a huge commitment, but think i can easily dedicate anywhere from 5-20 minutes per day reviewing information and news on a specific sector (more when im bored at work). i know there are auto,cyclical, or energy analysts, commodity peeps, foreign market followers etc… but none of those are that appealing to me. aside from the adult movie and gambling/clubs (which im sure would be recommended from AF posters as the first option!), i am looking for something that may also be interesting or fun to get into. maybe website/online companies, various entertainment industry related companies, or anything with sports or along those lines. i know it depends on what interests me, but i am your average joe i guess. anyone have a sector or area that they research on, will continue to survive into the future, has good growth potential AND is fun to get into? if i enjoy the sector, i figure i would spend way more time reviewing pertinent information and news. or am i just crazy to think that such a thing exist?

Hmm, I don’t think they exist. In my opinion, if you want to have a winning chance, I think you almost have to invest in boring companies. The more boring the company, the better chance for achieving abnormal returns. You know what gets me excited? Low-cost producers that aren’t followed by many analysts. I mean, really cheap companies that don’t have extravagant offices, or unnecessary employee expenditures. Make the employees shareholders instead. All of this is very, very boring. Call me out on my regurgitation of Peter Lynch’s books, but really, what he preaches makes sense. In addition, living below your means, being patient, forgetting about your wife (because you’re too busy dreaming about stocks), and buying boring companies that you learned about working in a sector prior to your financial career gives you the best odds. I have never worked in the sports industry, so what I’d be relying on is other analyst reports, which is probably not a good thing.

lynch is dead http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/business/25maker.html?_r=1&ref=business

SkipE99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > after investing in random companies that i either > know someone at or just happen to come across , i > have decided that it may be beneficial to start > learning about a specific sector, industry, asset > class etc…I am not making a huge commitment, but > think i can easily dedicate anywhere from 5-20 > minutes per day reviewing information and news on > a specific sector (more when im bored at work). i > know there are auto,cyclical, or energy analysts, > commodity peeps, foreign market followers etc… > but none of those are that appealing to me. > > aside from the adult movie and gambling/clubs > (which im sure would be recommended from AF > posters as the first option!), i am looking for > something that may also be interesting or fun to > get into. maybe website/online companies, various > entertainment industry related companies, or > anything with sports or along those lines. i know > it depends on what interests me, but i am your > average joe i guess. > > anyone have a sector or area that they research > on, will continue to survive into the future, has > good growth potential AND is fun to get into? if > i enjoy the sector, i figure i would spend way > more time reviewing pertinent information and > news. or am i just crazy to think that such a > thing exist? theres no sector that id be most interested but there is however an asset class; Distressed Securities and deep value investing (as in turnaround/restructuring). Sorry to thread jack but does anyone know of any resources that discuss distressed securities investing?

nah id be interested in resources too. ill check it out at least

if you want to learn about distressed investing a good idea would be to read chapters 11 and 7 of the bankruptcy code marty whitman of third avenue is really good at this…his latest commentary has some useful stuff on distressed debt…i do not wanna advertise here, but you can get some info on my blog: http://safe-and-cheap.blogspot.com/2008/11/bonds-heres-glory.html

SeanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SkipE99 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > after investing in random companies that i > either > > know someone at or just happen to come across , > i > > have decided that it may be beneficial to start > > learning about a specific sector, industry, > asset > > class etc…I am not making a huge commitment, > but > > think i can easily dedicate anywhere from 5-20 > > minutes per day reviewing information and news > on > > a specific sector (more when im bored at work). > i > > know there are auto,cyclical, or energy > analysts, > > commodity peeps, foreign market followers > etc… > > but none of those are that appealing to me. > > > > aside from the adult movie and gambling/clubs > > (which im sure would be recommended from AF > > posters as the first option!), i am looking for > > something that may also be interesting or fun > to > > get into. maybe website/online companies, > various > > entertainment industry related companies, or > > anything with sports or along those lines. i > know > > it depends on what interests me, but i am your > > average joe i guess. > > > > anyone have a sector or area that they research > > on, will continue to survive into the future, > has > > good growth potential AND is fun to get into? > if > > i enjoy the sector, i figure i would spend way > > more time reviewing pertinent information and > > news. or am i just crazy to think that such a > > thing exist? > > > theres no sector that id be most interested but > there is however an asset class; Distressed > Securities and deep value investing (as in > turnaround/restructuring). > > Sorry to thread jack but does anyone know of any > resources that discuss distressed securities > investing? Distressed Debt Report - http://distresseddebt.dealflowmedia.com/ subscription is not cheap, but its a good resource

bsivia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if you want to learn about distressed investing a > good idea would be to read chapters 11 and 7 of > the bankruptcy code > > marty whitman of third avenue is really good at > this…his latest commentary has some useful stuff > on distressed debt…i do not wanna advertise here, > but you can get some info on my blog: > > http://safe-and-cheap.blogspot.com/2008/11/bonds-h > eres-glory.html Great blog! I put it in my RSS feed :wink:

Thanks AliMan. Coming back to the OP’s point, I was wondering if anyone knew about any trade journals (on different sectors) that we can get for cheap or for free? I am sure there are a lot of you working in research that know about some!