Speeding Tickets & CB Radios

I don’t have the time, nor the desire to drive 65 mph for up to 18 hours a weekend

Well, it sort of depends on your circumstances. If you’re on the verge of losing your license, then maybe that is a good reason for a change in behavior. But it’s up to you, I guess.

That’s what my sweet new CB is for

I got a few tickets in a row a couple years ago, and have been slowing down (for the most part) ever since. Life is certainly much less stressful that way. CB’s are awesome, I am jealous. You are going to learn a whole new language. The forum’s knowledge level on this subject is very impressive. Good luck out there everyone!

Just get a slower car bro. Problem solved.

I frequently drive back and forth between here and Cincy and after getting pulled over for a second time, I had to make some sort of change which didn’t result in me driving at the speed limit of 65-70 on cruise control. Plus add having OH plates in PA and illegally tinted front windows to the mix. You can only talk your way out of a citation so many times … So I eventually invested in a nice radar detector which has done the trick thus far. Who cares if it’s illegal, so is speeding with 20% windows. Hope the CB works out for you though.

Hahah, nice work.

Did you go V1?

I generally keep it to within 5-10 mph of the speed limit, make sure to never be the fastest one in a group of cars, and am super careful in areas where the speed limit drops (construction zones, small towns, etc.). No speeding tickets since 1995.

Yep, I’m with monger. Most of the time I make sure at least one person is going faster than me so that if there’s a cop out, they’ll prefer to grab the other guy… unless it’s iteracom, of course. The one time I got a speeding ticket was when I was driving NYC-Montreal one night. It was 3am in upstate NY and the road was dark, flat, and empty. I was trying to go as fast as I could before I got too sleepy, but had no reference points and I guess I didn’t look at the speedometer. Suddenly, I saw lights flash before my eyes… red and blue lights, to be precise… bummer for me.

Speeding is a skill. If you don’t know how to speed, then don’t do it. There are situations when it is safe and situations where it is not. Obviously you haven’t learned this yet. Getting a CB radio is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard though. Radar detectors supplement your driving style and can be helpful.

Right, I’m gonna let you have that one, because I feel bad for you.

Explain to me what’s so dumb about it, personally I think it’s great, my kayak / back country ski friends got pumped about it and just outfitted their vehicles with them too for the weekend adventures (often outside cell). Does your radar detector have 100% reliable lead indicator for all forms of speed traps and include 24/7 live traffic updates? Can it let you communicate with groups outside cell service areas? Could it be invaluable in an emergency if someone gets injured on one of our trips outside cell range (I had a whitewater friend die last year, radio wouldn’t have helped in that case tho)? Does it cost twice as much? Answer key: no, no, no, yes

Next time we meet up I get to use this thing.

^ I want to get the external speaker too so I can yell sh*t at people in traffic. Mounted hidden behind the grill so they can’t be sure who just yelled at them.

One of my buddies at Virginia Tech did just this. He used to drive around the drill field, which is this huge open area that classes let out into, and hit on girls or scare the living crap out of people. It was REALLY loud. He could also play some tunes through it (think Dukes of Hazard).

I’ve always wanted an egg launcher, so I can launch eggs at people who drive like idiots

If you are too dumb to understand that speeding is a skill and there are times and places when you are less likely to get caught; and there are times when you are highly likely to get caught you don’t deserve to be driving. This is why your driver’s license HAS been taken away from you. Driving on an empty highway at night 15+ MPH over is a dumb thing to do. You don’t seem to understand this. Driving on a well traveled highway during the middle of the day when the general flow of traffic is 10+ MPH the probability of getting caught is substantially lower. During the day cops aren’t necessarily looking to pull people over. Late at night and mornings are the times you are most likely to get pulled over. A prof I had in grad school for Adv Simulation has done a bunch of studies for the NHTSA. I don’t have a radar detector nor have I ever owned one. And they are illegal in VA. I honestly do not understand how you work in this industry. You have zero understanding of risk vs return. Nor do you seem to understand active vs passive risk.

Oh, OK, then it makes sense since I got pulled over at 5 in the evening on a 65 mph highway with three other people in a speed trap at 10 over, I guess I just didn’t realize you were such an expert. BTW, a few years ago, I also got nailed for 6 over on a 65 mph highway at 3pm in a speed trap that had one spotter and 6 cop cars pulling people over. I should have just told them expert Blake says they’re all idiots for not listening to his rules. Hey, speaking of people who shouldn’t be in this industry, I think geniuses who try to correct others on their WAMU valuations without having heard of the bankruptcy before sheepishly backing away from the discussion should probably go in that category too! You’re right, put this under “skills” on your resume righ there beside your sweet midlife trolling hobby (nice skills brah) and your fast food burger / chipotle expertise!

Fortunately I would hear about your egg launcher on my CB then use the antenna to swat them away while “egging” you on using the PA system!

Why would you get a CB for your car if they take away your license? Are you going to drive without a license?