Speeding Tickets & CB Radios

I only lose it for a month. But then I go back to 5 points (suspends every time you hit six). I just got it back this summer after losing it for a month. I had a NJ license for 6 years but was always driving home and I’d get tickets occasionally in PA but the points don’t fall off your PA record unless you have a PA license or some weird thing. Anyhow, when I moved back in state they were all sitting on my record so my license was immediately suspended then I was reset at 5 points. At this juncture I just figured F it, always wanted a CB anyway.

dang i thought suspension was at 12 points or at least 10 points. Don’t moderate speeding tickets give you 2-4 points alone?

Yes, in NJ, the limit was 12 points, in PA, it’s 6, but the point scale for tickets is the same. Obviously I’m not a fan. It takes a year to lose 3 points, so if you drive 1.9 years ticket free after being reset to 5, and you get nailed with a 4 pointer, you’re suspended again.

damn, PA sucks.

Honestly, that’s what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I’m showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like…not like the stories your generation tells. You are not making the correct decisions at the correct times. It is very possible that ten over during rush hour is not a good decision at your particular location. Maybe on a different route in a different location you can. You just don’t get it. I’m giving you a very basic decision making framework that has many different inputs. This is simple decison making. If you do not have information about a situation you go passive or neutral. You don’t take active risk. Just like you don’t jump off a cliff or jump at a mountain like Jackson Hole unless you know what you are landing into. There is a reason the same people sit down at the finals for poker every year. It’s called skill. Of which, you seem to have zero.

I’ve driven the highways from both tickets many a time at the same time of day. Both speed traps were one offs (you do realize speed traps are typically only set up a few times a year and almost never in the same vecinity correct?). I apologize for my early story, I didn’t realize till you came back with that reaction that I hit so close to home :wink: LMAO

Blake, go away. Troll somewhere else

Don’t feed the troll bro. We need an ignore function on this board

BS, I’m wondering how much is your insurance premium and for how long.

You know, I don’t actually know, I just have it set to auto pay. But it’s not too bad I don’t think, because I’m 28 and the only accident claim I’ve ever had was when I was 18.

I’m not sure why Blake thinks getting a CB is so dumb. No solution is perfect, and for BS’s situation, it sounds like it’s perfectly reasonable, even if it doesn’t solve all problems. And BS pointed out that it can be useful/enjoyable in other situations. And CBs aren’t illegal, whereas radar detectors are in some places.

But it jumps up when you have points. You mentioned that you have average 5 points for quite sometime. So far, I just got one speeding ticket and that time I decided to take defense driving course so that I don’t get any points and my insurance premium stays the same.

hmm, I dunno then.

Paul Walker and Steve Zahn hate CB radios.

I had a friend who worked for a car company. As an executive, they paid for her car and for her insurance. So she figured that she didn’t really have to care much about insurance premium increases and so she drove pretty aggressively and was attractive enough to talk her way out of a fair number of tickets (though definitely not all of them). Needless to say, she had lots and lots of points on her record, but it didn’t affect what she paid for insurance or anything. Then she got a new job at a non-auto company. Ooops!

…a random porsche and I started to play tag. Nothing exceedingly dangerous, speeds from 90-105 but we were weaving through other cars… ^unacceptable^

Ok, rereading, I see Blake’s point, which is that there’s a reason for speeding laws, and that it’s illogical to take as a presumption that the problem with speeding laws is that they exist at all and that everyone should get to go as fast as they feel like they should. That’s a reasonable point. I thought the argument was that CB is dumb and radar detector is smart, which I didn’t get.

Going by other responses, I’m in the minority. But if you are in danger of losing your license you might have other things to consider besides CB vs. laser guns i.e. your driving is dangerous for yourself and others on the road. Speed limits are not a practical joke by the authorities. Dont get me wrong, I drive a powerful car (300hp) and ride motorcycles so I do have the ‘need for speed’ but I ensure that I’m not endangering other people. Getting a CB/other gizmo might just push you over the edge. Please drive safe.

As Sammy Hagar would say - “I can’t drive…FIFTY-FIVE!!!” Sorry, I couldn’t help myself.

Can’t you just get a quiet, comfortable car with a nice stereo system, a ton of music on the iPod and chill while driving? I haven’t gotten a speeding ticket in 31 years (I have however nearly lost my driver’s license for going through red lights because often while I am chilling and listening to my music I don’t notice them. So this is not a perfect solution. I had to hire a lawyer to explain to the prosecutor that I was just stupid and needed to go to defensive driving school instead of losing my license).