Start writing before exam starts

Hi guys,

Currently a CFA level 2 candidate and has been wondering about this but didn’t find an answer on the CFA institute website.

I saw a folk back in Level 1 who started scribbling down on the scratch paper provided before the exam officially started. Of course he wasn’t carrying any cheat sheets with him or anything. Is this behavior allowed?

No way. If you start writing before the proctors say “go”, you’re probably going to be written up. What would you want to write before the start of the exam??..

Formulas that you think you might forget.

Scratch paper?

don’t even try it. you’re literally asking for big trouble.

I had a look at the sanctions page and whilst technically it’s not there the following is:

Candidates may not use scratch paper during the exam. Scratch paper includes writing paper, the exam ticket, calculator keystroke card, desk top, or any other surface.

Despite this requirement, six Level I candidates and six Level II candidates used their exam ticket or other surface as scratch paper during the exam. The CFA Institute Professional Conduct Program investigated these matters and found that the candidates engaged in the conduct, thereby violating the CFA Program Exam Rules. Four candidates accepted the sanction of Private Censure/Reprimand and Voiding of Exam Results ; six candidates accepted the sanction of One-Year Suspension from Participation in the CFA Program and Voiding of Exam Results ; and one candidate accepted the sanction of Three-Year Suspension from Participation in the CFA Program and Voiding of Exam Results. One candidate requested a Hearing Panel. After consideration of the evidence, the Hearing Panel imposed the sanction of One-Year Suspension from Participation in the CFA Program and Voiding of Exam Results.

So you’ve nothing to write on unless you want risk anything up to a 3 year suspension.

My advice, learn the formulas in advance, writing one or two ro even three on a piece of paper isn’t going to help.

Good luck

Just to clarify:

Scratch Paper Policy

You are permitted to do scratch work in the exam book on question pages or blank pages. You are not permitted to remove any pages from the book, including blank pages. Do not use your admission ticket as scratch paper. It is a CFA Institute testing policy violation to write on the front or back of your ticket at any time.

I like the use of the word “accepted” here as though they really had a choice. In the event that they did, actually, have a choice, I’d say the one that ‘accepted’ the three-year suspension lost.