Starting a career in finance

I just wrote my CFA 1 exam in December, I graduated last year from university and have work experience doing stats, research (but either were finance related). I’m trying to get a job that counts towards the CFA work experience, but it seems like most jobs want someone who already has experience (or other certifications that I dont have, like CSC, etc). So, where is one to try to “start”/“get in”? I’m feeling a bit discouraged with the job search and would be happy to hear any suggestions.

Not to discourage you, but it’s going to be a tough year for the industry in 2008…with all the economic slowdown and recession forecasts.

If you are in Toronto …its even harder …

I would start by applying for jobs that interest you.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would start by applying for jobs that interest > you. niiiiiiice +1

Rudeboi, what’s with all the hate for Toronto?

I aint hatin man …I am just statin the reality …you cant say its not tough here …

I got nothin but love for the Tdot , its just a struggle to get the right kinda break …

I don’t know where it’s easy…

well its never easy …however the competition here is more than intense …especially if you didnt get in right after school …oh well i guess the struggle continues …

What are you doing now?

I work @ a custodian …deal with trades , accounting , Forex, cash recon, settlements etc your regular back office stuff …in contact with with the IM firms on a daily basis however most of them are out west …It pays the bills and i have learned a lot since i started here about a year and a bit ago .

Hey Rudeboi, which one do you work at? Dexia, Mellon or Statestreet?

Oh, sorry to hear that…

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Oh, sorry to hear that… LoL …tht says it all … like i said its a struggle …however I have been able to finsh Lvl 2 without completely giving up my social life …

Yeah, I’m fairly certain my customer service rep at our custodian hates me.s…I never fill out the survey and take forever to get back to her on other requests. However, when I have a request, I want the answer yesterday. Keep at it, 3 years ago I was a HNW associate, (see unglorified secretary).

Just goes to show there is still hope for us BOM’s …

GEE~~ i am facing a worse situation. I am an accountant & got bored already and never work in finance before.

Turk, I’m gonna send you an email today

ok