Starting an online coaching business, need advice!

Cool Greenie… quarterly taxes it is, just like I do for stripping :+1:

^Speaking of…I’m going to need some sort of payment for my services, here. Maybe we can trade off.

Is this an established business model used by other trainers? Seems pretty complicated, to be honest. If the person is disciplined enough to log all their workout sets, they probably won’t need an online trainer to discuss it with them.

I think you’re better off designing different levels of workout sets, like KMD’s Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, and Analyst Forum level workout routines. People can pay you a modest subscription, like $5 or $10, for access to updates, protips, t-shirts, and other related stuff. Maybe you can even market some kind of nutrition plan and send them some shakes or something once in a while. If you want to advertise “I have 1000 subscribers already” or something at first, you can easily offer this service for free during a promotional period. Furthermore, this plan is infinitely scalable, unlike a personal service that will end up being standard anyway in approach.

Otherwise, the plan sounds really complicated and expensive for the benefits. For almost $50, I’d be better off with a 1 hour weekly session with a real in person trainer who can spot me and fix my tecnhnique.

If you come to the club I will buy you a drink :wink:

Its not complicated Ohai. They just open the log and mark next to the exercises that they did them and comment if they want to.

Do premium members get your snapchat?

KMD, check out aerobiccapacity.com. It is not exactly what you are doing, but certain aspects of it are similar (particularly the weekly workouts customized to your pacing) and may give you some ideas about presentation and feedback.

as much as i like you kmd. i agree with ohai. this weekly class i know that goes from 6 am to 8 am at redondo beach is 25 bucks per class to join on a drop in basis. lots of hotties. good place if you want to low key creep. you can even watch from afar as they are just working out in the open public wearing yoga pants and shit. my sister is in it. lol anyways i think the person provides meal prep plans and recipes.

KMD - there are doers, and those who sit on the sidelines spending their lives criticizing the doers. Believe in yourself and you can’t fail. This is a highly adaptable business plan that is easily bootstrapped. Minimal downside as your only major cost is your time. The company will have a valuable asset — you and your ability to adjust and adapt. It doesn’t have to be perfect out of the gates. Just get started, see what the market feedback is and adapt to the information it gives you. If you can sustain yourself through +/- 3 years you’ll find the model that works.

Indeed! I have next to nothing to lose starting this up. The “optionality” is a huge value to me from my perspective. I am not paying attention to the critiques from guys with no fitness industry experience who keep suggesting I provide a kind of service that could be duplicated by a bot, which COMPLETELY misses the point.

Very minimal downside and potentially career making upside for me! Not to mention I already have a handful of people who wan to start as soon as possible. “I have been looking for something exactly like this”, says one. :wink:

Serious question: Would you be open to combining your talents? Remember in Billy Madison when the teacher takes off a piece of clothing each time Billy answers correctly? What if you did that but as a trainer? You could strip as your clients reach certain milestones.

Come to think of it, why am I sharing this here? This is a gold mine. I’m going to try this out. Might take me a while to find my target market, but when I do I’ll be rolling in ripple.

I wondered on how long it would take this thread to slide. Great advice Greenie - but lets face it; you’d be finished even before she had the opportunity to get her top off.

Hot line? For those most demanding?

Sorry, now I see it says online. Sorry, I suffer from dyslexia.

I know that some customers want personal experience, but I just do not see many people finding much value in the particular model you described. Essentially, you want people to fill out paperwork and have meetings related to workouts, outside of their exercise time. I doubt that this is the best way to provide service to your clients.

Thus, I described another kind of service that other people have implemented successfully, and that you might be able to replicate. People will follow you if you develop a personal brand that differentiates you from other trainers.

This is just my opinion, and you should probably survey a wide number of people to see what percentage would be willing to pay for your proposed service.

^^

1st of all, out of the 7 billion people on the planet I just need to find 30 people to make 65k/ year :neutral_face:

2nd of all, I am not asking any advice about my business model. I see it fulfilling a specific niche in the industry and I have no doubts about it. I was only asking advice for the bookkeeping/ tax side of the business. So… thanks to Greenie and Turd! You guys can read!

I wouldn’t be too hard on Ohai. He is just trying to be helpful. But I agree with Turd, your first business plan is never how things turn out. You’ll adapt. But I’d keep Ohais comments in mind in case they are useful at some point. Good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks man.

Responding poorly to unsolicited advice is a flaw of mine. I should work that… sorry Ohai *grits teeth*. I will keep your concerns in mind.

I tend to agree with Turd. Keep your head high, be patient, be persistent, and be adaptable. If there’s value in it, people will pay.

That said, I also think that Sweep has a good point. I’m not being facetious. I think you really might explore that avenue. Like, show up at your clients doorstep in really skimpy workout clothes and say “if you can catch me, I’ll give you a personal dance.” Give them some motivation to get faster and lose some weight.

Oh—and I wouldn’t quit your day job just yet, either.

Hey Greenie (or anyone)…

I have been trying to get my EIN on the IRS website application for a couple hours now. The application is broken in that it will not let me type in my SSN. It automatically skips an extra gap so my number will not fit. I tried everything! I called like 10 times to try to get a person on the phone to let them know it is broken, but I can’t get even one person. I have tried different numbers and selections but it keeps sending me to yet another automated response and then just hangs up! :angry:

Anyway, I see there are other places online to apply…I think???

Is a site like this legit, or a scam? I worry since it is not the IRS website.

https://www.irs-tax-id-number.com/ein.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EIN%20|%20BMM%20|%2005-08-17&utm_term=%2Bhow%20%2Bto%20%2Bein&utm_content=bmm%20-%20how%20to%20ein

Welcome to trying to operate a business while dealing with crippling bureaucracy! You can (1) do it through the mail, (2) just pay an attorney to handle it, or (2a) exchange a lap dance for legal services of a client.