Starting an online coaching business, need advice!

Did you start here?

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

yes…when it gets to the place where you enter for SSN, it won’t let you enter the full number

takes 4 weeks by mail!..apparently they mess up and lose your stuff a lot too (one of the choices on the automated phone system was about this!)

I just went through it (my employer probably thinks about about to break out on my own now) and I never left a .gov website. Not sure how you’re getting to the page you linked.

she googled it. there are sites that advertise processing an EIN. I don’t trust them.

That other site was me just googling “apply for IRS EIN” after I could not get the gov. application to work. I am scared to try it though.

What browser are you using? Worked fine in Chrome.

And definitely don’t use a third party site.

Yes… tried chrome on two computers and on my phone! I guess I will try again…

Seems like a very crowded competitive space. I’m with Ohai, I’m just not seeing it. But startup cost is low so who knows.

Lol…it works now.

Image result for obama you're welcome gif

perhaps an online crash course on how to use the intranet before starting a business wll be helpful?

If you google “get an ein”, this is the first link (that’s not an ad). Looks like the same one Sweep used.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

I expect this from Ohai. I’ve been sleeping on you

Yo K, how’s it going? Stacking bank yet?

Its coming along! My goal is to have all the paper work/ legal stuff/ website all set up by the end of March. It is a slow go with my being busy with coaching 5-6 days a week, dancing 5 days a week, and working out “like a triathlete” because it very important I stay in peak condition myself!

The delayed start is probably for the best. I have taken on one client, a 72 year old guy who has wanted me to train him for a while. I am using him as my guinea pig. With him I do one in person session and then write up the rest of the workouts and provide all the services I mentioned for my original model. I charge him $80 a week for this. It has been good because we discuss every week what is working for him and what is not. The shared log, for example, is not working well for him so far and so I am keeping the log myself and just emailing him his workouts. I can also see how important the intra week motivational check ins are. Otherwise, he was just not getting the workouts done. So, I am starting to see what options I will be the selling points for clients and what elements need to be smoothed out.

The “once a week visit + workout plan” model that I am using with this client is a good one but not practical for me as scaling this to full time is not going to work. I can’t see me having 15 clients all in different sides of town and all likely wanting to workout at similar times of day being conducive to lifestyle that will not drive me COMPLETELY insane. I can probably only take on 4 or 5 clients like this in the long run. Luckily when I mentioned that I was starting a 100% remote training service on my various social media outlets I was getting a surprising amount of interest in signing up…like right now! Some where clients I used to train years ago!

I think when it comes to the main selling point of what I have to offer I hit the nail on the head. People want a role model to get to know them and provide actual validation coming from a real person. I am open to adjust the model around that central theme.

oh…and the official name of my LLC is going to be “Coach Katie Fitness and Sports Performance” :wink:

Awesome. Keep us posted. I’m curious to see how scaling up goes. Do you ever plan on having employees?

Katie = amazing name!

Beta male

No…no employees. When I say “scale up” I mean to the income of 50-70k/ year. Lol… I just want to have a job that does not stress me out and the funds to live a comfortable life. I may or may not do this in addition to pursing collegiate coaching. In that case will just be looking to get 40-50k out of it in addition to the 20-50k I get as a coach.