Starting Investment Analyst Career at the age of 50

Hi,

I am aged 50 and has been working in the SAP Finance domain for almost 20 years. Of late i have heard enough of Investment analyst career and very much got interested into it.

My question is, will it be too late to start an investment analyst career at the age of 50 by completing all 3 levels of CFA?

Raja, it’s never too late man. You have experience that should help you on at least a couple. As far as advanced degrees/certifications go, CFA is good bang for the buck if you compare to an MBA or something similar. Depends on what you’re aiming to do, but I find that most of the CFA topics apply across most business. If I can help with any more info, I’d be happy too. Throw age out the window, what’s the alternative?

1 Like

I agree with Kevin.

I was past 60 when I enrolled in the CFA curriculum. I’m approaching 80 now, and I’m still working. I don’t need the money, but I love what I do, so why not do it?

FWIW. my model for aging is my late grandmother on my Dad’s side. She was Cal/Berkeley, Class of 1912. She worked until she was 99 and lived to be 106! Right up until a couple of days before she passed, she was lightning-fast with a quip. She’s been gone for 29 years now, but I think of that wonderful old lady every day.

Working keeps my mind active. It also keeps me looking forward. Many of my friends look backward and make themselves unhappy about what they could have done, but didn’t.

That’s not for me. I’m expecting to finish writing my third book by year-end. When it’s done, I’ll probably write another one. The working title of my current book is “How to Increase the Value of Your Business.” Its target market is owners and senior managers in non-public enterprises.

4 Likes

Amazing sir, after obtaining CFA, were you able to land in a job as an Investment Analyst and how far were you able go in your career?

How you got a job as an investment analyst even in your sixties? Can you please elaborate more on your career journey? Real life stories motivates me more than mere motivational talks.

Yes sir, my only worry is will anyone hire me as an investment analyst even at the age of 50?

They should, between a charter and experience you’re valuable to a wide range of companies. Doesn’t always have to be a Wall Street bank of investment manager, corporate entities can use the skills acquired. Insurers and corporate treasury managers are a few areas where you can apply the charter and make good money.

1 Like

Congrats on thinking about starting this journey. I agree with others, age is only a number at the end of the day.

But speaking as someone who has hired analysts in the past, I think the bigger issue isnt the age itself, but what it implies. If someone gave you a seat, probably you’d have to start from the bottom of the scale, with low pay compared to the seniority you currently enjoy. You’d have to get used to people much younger than you calling the shots and telling you what to do. You’d also need the energy to work hard through the grind for long hours for several years as you learn the trade.

So someone giving you a seat would have to be comfortable youd be able to persevere over time, and you wouldnt just quit after 6 months. These questions wouldnt apply to a grad fresh out of uni, so you’d have a disadvantage.

You might be able to turn your experience into an advantage though, if there are transferable skills you can identify. A lot depends on what you mean by ‘investment analyst’. There are all sorts and kinds, depending on the actual investment process of the employer.

Traditionally, the MBA is the degree of choice for people who want to pivot career. It gives you a brand, a network and an opportunity to intern so you can transition successfully. Perhaps thats also an avenue to explore. Nowadays, there are many varieties and types of MBAs to choose from.

Good luck