std dev versus downside dev

For hedge fund which one would you use Std dev or downside deviation Justify in one line your choice(S)

sdn deviation normally but if the found has a historical record of positive returns you would use downside deviation to capture the true risk of the fund and not be penialize for upside deviation, so to speak.

well if a hedge fund use deriv, which most Hfs do…it is agreed that std dev is not a good measure…if thats the case why would downside be a good measure? I am quoting a question in the CFAI material…

Std. deviation isn’t a good measure but its a case of the best we have. downside is only a good measure if the fund has a history of positive returns.

Actually I would say for hedge funds downside deviation should be used instead of standard deviation. Standard deviation does not to a good job of capturing the probability of returns in the tails. Hedge Funds can exhibit extreme positive returns in a given period. These extreme positive results can skew the dispersion (standard deviation). Investors are more concerned with downside risk and as a result, downside deviation would be a better measurement. In addition, Momentum Hedge Funds are an example of a hedge fund that exhibits serially correlated returns - and this would again result in skewed return distribution making standard deviation inappropriate. Lastly, stale pricing leads to smoothed return data and underestimated standard deviation. This is a problem in general for any return variability measurement, not just standard deviation.

PJ - can you point to the CFAI or schweser where they say downside? I believe they say SD and not downside except for the reasons i explained above. you could be correct wiht your last post, but i think the CFAI says something differently on this. I think your answer is too ‘real world’ for this exam, haha. but can you point to a part of the text that agrees with you? I think this would be a great one to have an answer on.

strikershank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sdn deviation normally but if the found has a > historical record of positive returns you would > use downside deviation to capture the true risk of > the fund and not be penialize for upside > deviation, so to speak. This is bang on… exactly what I was thinking :slight_smile: We agree !! see :slight_smile:

I’ll have to check my notes later tonight when I get home… Taking the wife out for our 9 year anniversary :slight_smile:

Schweser Book 4 pgs 34 and 35 CFAI Volume 4 pg 334

Congrats PJ.

besides the page number et al…I think if std. dev. is not applicable because of non-normality why would downside deviation apply? downside deviation is also calculated assuming returns are normal i.e returns are symmetric?

applies because of what i said in my second reply - its the best we have right now.

Thanks BW! We had fun last night but now it’s back to studying :~(

Hahah…yeah I was sitting down watch Discovery Channel about Sasquatch and my wife goes, “dont you have to study”… DAMN HER!