Steps to get the Charter

You can’t claim to be a charterholder unless you are a member in good standing (i.e., active and paying dues). You can say you passed all 3 levels but who puts in this many years of their lives only to not be a charterholder over a few hundred bucks?

I was told you will not be a Charterholder until your pay CFA Society dues. Not sure if that is true or not though.

help a brotha out… Do internships count as work experience if I was a ‘full-time’ summer analyst for an IB shop?

Correct. You will need to pay your dues.

CFA membership plus CFA Society dues much be paid to be a Charterholder?

Pretty sure society is optional

congrats everyone.

How do you get a formal certificate?

I applied for adding my middle name to the certificate, rather than just first and last name, did anyone try to add on their name? How long does it usually take for the change to be applied?

I provided passport copy and all …

I applied for charter last night by entering work experience and references. By morning I was approved and asked to pay the dues. ~ $400

Congrats! So did your references provide recommendation so fast?? Also did you receive an email saying you can use “CFA” after your name.

Also isnt the first year of membership free? I mean the $400 gets billed from next cycle onwards. I may stand corrected but thats what i was told that for the first year you dont have to pay $400

1 Like

My references did provide feedback same day. Its pretty straightforward. I just copy pasted my resume for work experience. You cannot use CFA until you sign the professional conduct statement and pay the dues at the same time. Physical charter is mailed in 6-8 weeks. Hope that helps. Its all over now.

Nothing is free bro. You have to pay the dues. They pro-rate depending on when you apply as their FY starts from July 1.

1 Like

This is a snip from the r/CFA subreddit stickied post:

Many of you are asking what the process is after you pass level III:

Assuming you have the required work experience, you would apply for membership - this includes validation of experience and references. After you get approved here you are able to pay your dues and validate the professional conduct statement.

Once you pay your dues(joining your local society) after being approved for work and references, and agree to the ethics affirmation - If you do that paired with a pass Level III result, you effectively have your charter and can use the letters.

The CFA members directory wont show up until 24 hours or so after you change your settings in the CFAI site to allow for public disclosure. So look around for that as well - but I have confirmed with CFAI that it is not necessary to be showing in the directory to use the designation if it has been earned.

For the physical Charter, what you need to pay attention to is an email that CFAI sends you (It will be titled ‘You Have Officially Earned Your CFA Charter’) after you do pay your dues where they ask you to click to confirm or update your mailing address. Until you click that they will not start processing sending you the physical charter. Once you click to confirm the address (or update it) it will take 4-8 weeks.

1 Like

I have recently started a new job (about 6 weeks in). Should I get my references from my current company or would it be better to get them from my old company (where I was for a number of years)?

Thanks

DRK

Honestly they even can be any relevant references. The references don’t have to be from your most recent employer. I got one from a volunteer group I’m in, and one from someone I’ve done consultancy work with in the past. So long as they know you and can speak to your character etc.

Got it. Thank you sir

1 Like

Do you happen to know what they ask the references?

Honestly I don’t, but I think it goes to character.

For a bribe.

Hahaha that would be interesting