Stern vs Tuck for MBA- advice pls

Well, it’s pretty clear that that statement is meaningless coming someone who did not drop out of college and who is taking the CFA.

builders Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i dont understand how someone could need a CFA, > CPA, and MBA to make it in this world > > i mean there are guys who dropped out of college > who are now billionaires… lol I agree. I wont go into the full story of my background but I didnt pursue all these designations for the sake of added credentials. It was more a function of my carreer goals changing every 2 years since I graduated from college. In hindsight an MBA alone wouldve been the best path for me but after passing 2 levels of the CFA there is no way that I can just quit.

THACHARTER Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- if i were you and i already had the hard skills (cpa/cfa) i’d got to tuck because there are going to be a lot of private business types there who will need someone with your legitimacy and track record.

A couple of my best friends from college are at Tuck for business school. They landed offers from top buy-side firms (think Fidelity, T. Rowe, etc.) for the summer. I can certainly appreciate how Stern is in the center of NYC, and yes it does make it easier for you to meet with NYC firms…but despite there being many financial institutions in NYC, there are other opportunities elsewhere and nowadays it’s quite easy to get in touch with these places. I don’t go to business school in NYC and although I feel sometimes that I’m at a locational disadvantage, all the top schools are in big cities and where you have a huge alumni database. Unfortunately, Tuck is not near a big city but it’s a well-recognized name with a very loyal alumni base. Plus, if you’re determined enough to find a good job, distance isn’t going to make that big of a difference…you’ll find a way to make things happen. Anyway, they’re both good schools and you’re probably best off going to the place where you think is the best culture fit. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice. I have yet to visit tuck so hopefully after going up there next week my decision will be easier to make.

My advice, heart to heart, is to go to Tuck and not go into Finance after b-school. In finance, you get paid well but everyone is a douche, the hours are VERY long, you will have a strained social life, there is no job security at all, it’s extremely competitive. Why not just go into general management or marketing or even consulting? It is a lot better in my opinion, assuming u have the personality for it. Sure, u won’t get paid as much in the beginning and probably won’t be working in NYC…but NYC is a cesspool of dirt and retards who just want to tax u to death anyway. it is best to avoid nyc if possible.

^ it’s all about the money. what part of finance don’t you understand? If you want a friend, get a dog. or go for a CPA, the unemployment rate for CPA’s is pretty much 0. Too bad your salary and bonus is absolute dogsh*t for about a decade. but hey, you want job security right? In fact, why are you even on a forum where people are trying to make it in finance? let me guess. unemployed with no life & no job

PhillyBanker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m all about being a billionaire. Builder, get at > me with some good investment ideas and I’ll put > some capital into play to make this happen. > > I want nothing more in life than to be coked out > while driving a Lambo at 110 on the highway, with > an eastern euro model in the passenger side > nodding off on heroin. If I get pulled over, so > what? I’ll throw the cop some Fu** You money and > tell him to get lost. > > All we need is some investment ideas Builder, get > at me Br0. If that’s how you want to live your life then why even make money legitimately then? It’s a lot easier when you don’t follow the rules…

Watch this guy end going to U of Phoenix.

bodhisattva Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > PhillyBanker Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m all about being a billionaire. Builder, get > at > > me with some good investment ideas and I’ll put > > some capital into play to make this happen. > > > > I want nothing more in life than to be coked > out > > while driving a Lambo at 110 on the highway, > with > > an eastern euro model in the passenger side > > nodding off on heroin. If I get pulled over, so > > what? I’ll throw the cop some Fu** You money > and > > tell him to get lost. > > > > All we need is some investment ideas Builder, > get > > at me Br0. > > > If that’s how you want to live your life then why > even make money legitimately then? > > It’s a lot easier when you don’t follow the > rules… Thanks for putting things in perspective. Your point of view has never crossed my mind.

^ i like this guy