Stifel Nicolaus

I overheard someone saying today that Stifel Nicolaus has “over 70 research analysts.” Can someone confirm or disprove this? Also, when they say “research analysts,” are they talking about coverage analysts only, or ALL research personnel? Seems like the 70-ish number would include senior analysts as well as junior associates and anyone else that has their proper NASD licenses, unless Stifel’s research department is just much bigger than I imagined it to be…

I know somebody who works there and your assumption above is correct. 70 would be pretty much everyone with licenses. was it a marketer you overheard?

Numi - right now we have 62 lead analysts (this doesn’t include associates). While we did pick up a few analysts from the Ryan Beck acquisition, the majority of analysts are still here from the days when we were part of Legg Mason. The ~70 analysts remark is not far off

How many stocks under coverage?

It was about 700 companies under coverage this time last year, so now probably closer to 800+ I’d guess

759 with recommendations 859 with estimates Why is 70 analyst that surprising? it is not uncommon for SS analyst to only cover 10-12 names

I was there in the days before the Legg and Ryan Beck acquisitions. Back then there were only about 12-15 analysts at any given time, with another 12-15 associates. Quite a different Stifel these days.

it seemed like a pretty big research department for a small bank, that’s all i worked at a couple of BB’s before that had nearly 3x the coverage (like 2,000-3,000 stocks) and i don’t think we had 200 senior research analysts…at least not just in the US. i’m not sure though, i never kept count.

JRH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Numi - right now we have 62 lead analysts (this > doesn’t include associates). While we did pick up > a few analysts from the Ryan Beck acquisition, the > majority of analysts are still here from the days > when we were part of Legg Mason. The ~70 analysts > remark is not far off Joe Battipaglia