Stock Pitching

So I have an interview coming up for an ER position, but am stressing a bit on what way to go with the stock pitch portion. Do I go with a safe bet like MSFT since they are undervalue by historical proportions and are considered a secure company since I think growth will be slower and the USD will rise in value in the coming months? Or do I go with a company like XOM, RIG, CAT, CSX as a play on global growth/commodity price growth more long term. I think that low beta mega large caps will perform better over the summer as global growth slows and the Euro problems get worse, but long term obviously I would want to pick something in the MEI sectors. How important do you think the stock pitch is? Are they just more looking to see your thought process, or do they want to actually see that you have solid picks that will go up? Obviously I know the position is to recommend stocks, but I am just wondering how much weight the interview stock pitch carries. What route have others gone down? Stick with a short term play, or a long term play? Maybe give both? I think I am reading into this too much, but I have a list of around 10 stocks that I am considering, and want to make sure I pick a good one.

This is for a sell side firm or a buy side firm? With whom will you be speaking and what is their investment style? These questions will help you to determine what is appropriate for your audience. Do not worry so much about the macro picture. You are not interviewing for an economist position. Focus on valuation/future cash flow/future earnigs/asset values depending on the above two questions.

Do a stock that you can understand and can really defend if they grill you.

Wall St. Warriors say SAN DISK SAN DISK SAN DISK!

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do a stock that you can understand and can really > defend if they grill you. This is the most important thing. Don’t pick a stock you don’t know inside and out, don’t pick an industry you can’t explain comfortably and confidently.

Pick a stock outside their industry.

In light of the recent decline of silver, I would do some research on undervalued silver-related companies with strong management and assets as well as strong track record. I think once the market corrects the silver bubble, it’ll be a good opportunity to buy some silver. Although it may not climb back up to $45+ any time soon, it won’t be depressing for long…

rockstar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In light of the recent decline of silver, I would > do some research on undervalued silver-related > companies with strong management and assets as > well as strong track record. I think once the > market corrects the silver bubble, it’ll be a good > opportunity to buy some silver. Although it may > not climb back up to $45+ any time soon, it won’t > be depressing for long… Please consider your audience. We ask candidates to pitch a stock. And if he/she came with the above, we would have a huge laugh. Aside from the fact that we wasted travel costs and our time listening to the attributes of silver.

Recent decline in silver following the 300% run up in price? Good luck saying any silver related company is “undervalued.” Personally I’d pitch something like Iron mountain or AMT or PBR. The first two you could counsider REITS and PBR is my favorite equity.

or you could just “pitch a tent”! - asset management style!

Pitch something like WDFC. That’s easy to understand.

How about RICK?

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Recent decline in silver following the 300% run up > in price? Good luck saying any silver related > company is “undervalued.” > > Personally I’d pitch something like Iron mountain > or AMT or PBR. > > The first two you could counsider REITS and PBR is > my favorite equity. Do you do much stock picking for your job? I would thought you be more into relationship management/developing SAAs and optimization for individual portfolios.

pitch a tent for sure

starbuk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pitch a tent for sure Are you implying that you are long boners?

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pitch something like WDFC. That’s easy to > understand. I would love to hear a pitch on WDFC. I love it, but can’t get past the price right now. Hoping for a pull back.

bodhisattva Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Recent decline in silver following the 300% run > up > > in price? Good luck saying any silver related > > company is “undervalued.” > > > > Personally I’d pitch something like Iron > mountain > > or AMT or PBR. > > > > The first two you could counsider REITS and PBR > is > > my favorite equity. > > > Do you do much stock picking for your job? I would > thought you be more into relationship > management/developing SAAs and optimization for > individual portfolios. I do a little bit of everything. Today I “pitched” a trade for HON buying OTM calls. Look at the daily graph for the last 3 months, options expiry goes by and the stock bounces. Clockwork, these guys are good.

goes to eleven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Palantir Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Pitch something like WDFC. That’s easy to > > understand. > > > I would love to hear a pitch on WDFC. I love it, > but can’t get past the price right now. Hoping > for a pull back. I agree, great firm, but price is a little rich. Same with HWKN, another solid firm.