Strategies to Finish Written Section Early

I am thinking the following… - Read questions first (any debate on this strategy?) - Focus on CFAI buzz words / phrases, each answer 3 - 4 words only - Instead of using words “and”, “thus” use “+” and “–>” - In IPS, do not re-write/pharaphrase investor quotes, just say “para 1, para 2, quote 1” - Rip out pages / put them next to each other - If asked to calculate an answer and show work, perhaps showing correct work is enough. Ie. ( 35% + 25% ) * 1.065 (no need to use calculator) - Any comments on above, any more?

• Rip out pages / put them next to each other haven’t written 3 before, but i’d think this would be a no go. unless you are putting your candidate number on top of each page

Definitely ripping out is a no go…if they get lost you would be accused of taking parts of an exam booklet out, which would likely result in a permanent expulsion from the CFA program.

ah ha! all that paper i hear at the exams is from the itty bitty level 3 section (testing center has everyone in same room)

I make a lot of transcription errors- looking at the number on the previous page/table and putting it into calc- what you guys advise?

How about abbreviations?

If your asked to calculate an answer why would you want to guarantee you will miss marks by not doing the calculation?

I think this guy is trying to sabotage to increase his chances of a pass. Nobody could think that it’s smart to leave out the answer on a calculation question…could they?

• In IPS, do not re-write/pharaphrase investor quotes, just say “para 1, para 2, quote 1” My understanding is you should not do this unless you want zero points.

I am going to try my best to stick with this strategy: know the answers.

My strategy to finish written section early: start early.

slouiscar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am going to try my best to stick with this > strategy: > > know the answers. Indeed. But, if you don’t know all the answers, here’s a really good tip: Instead of dwelling on how you can write your best BS answer, skip along immediately and answer what you know. You’ll either use time wisely figuring out the stuff you know how to do, and/or you’ll have time to come back to what you skipped. Who knows, something you saw elsewhere might jog your memory.

I didn’t think the original post was serious (ripping out pages and citing paragraph #'s?). Seriously though, I agree w/ sterling. That is a good point. On the 2008 I finished just in time and I was trying to hustle from Q1 on. After I graded I realized I ate up the most time on the questions that I was missing the most points on. I was just way off on the approach. I mean, if I am spending 20 minutes on some RR factoring in a 3 stage TVM calc… yeah, I am likely doing it wrong. If I did it the way it was intended, it should have taken 5 minutes, instead of for–ev–er–.

vandyk30 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How about abbreviations? I probably will a little. When answering constructed response-essay exam questions, may I use abbreviated words to save time or must I write out all words in full? Prudent use of abbreviations is certainly acceptable, and even advisable, especially in those cases where such abbreviations are used in the assigned readings or are commonly known to be part of the body of investment terminology. Candidates should, however, be cautious about abbreviating highly technical, specialized, or less widely used terms. http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/faq/faqs_candidates.html##90

I am thinking to use “m” for millions and “k” for thousands instead of putting all the 0 s. Is that acceptable?