Study Hours Logged --December Lvl 1

Schweser 2010 books. Ethics was first, then quant, now econ and so forth

SFoyil Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Schweser 2010 books. Ethics was first, then quant, > now econ and so forth great me too! haven’t read the CFAI books…i just registered so they should be showing up any time now… wht is ur education b/g? Mine is MBA in finance, so some of the topics are familiar… but i am not sure if i can remember so much stuff! understanding a concept is one thing… remember all that!

damn…i have just about 3 hours till now…the schweser notes are stuck somewhere in transit…

I agree with the checking in with each other to monitor our progress haha we can keep each other in check! I just registered too so I’m still waiting for the books as well but it might be awhile since I ran into a huge shipping catastrophe (I’m abroad and customs sent the books back to the U.S.). I just graduated this year with a degree in Finance (undergrad not MBA) so I guess I have the advantage of having seen a lot of the material not too long ago whereas you have the upper hand in probably understanding the concepts a lot more in depth than myself. I found the Econ to be rewarding, its such a feeling of satisfaction when you correctly figure out the movements of each graph haha so I know exactly what you mean when you say its exciting to figure out! I just started Financial reporting and analysis today but only a few pages in. I’m taking notes by hand of all the definitions and everything in a notebook as I go and I can tell by the end of this book I will probably have severe carpal tunnel!

Hi! I too started with FSA today… want to complete study session 7 today. my books are were about to be returned… i asked them to hold them at UPS so that i can pick them up. CFA offers ebooks for $50… i dont understand y we need to pay another 50 if we already ordered the paper version. in the past few yrs i have bcome used to reading ebooks and prefer them over the paper. It would b so much easier to study with the ebook. i also want to rant abt the CFA not having a computerized exam… who does papar based exams anymore!!.. i haven’t filled those small circles in like 4ever. Hated it then and hate it now… CFA should come into current century. Sorry abt the rant but its Monday. :smiley: BTW how was ECO? I need to go over them sometime this month so tht i dont forget…want to just look at all the graphs so i can recollect. good luck Buzz

I completely agree about the computerized exam, and this would eliminate the retab incase you think you erased too many times. Whats ECO?

EPS: Ethics and professional Standards QUNT: Quantitative Methods ECO: Economics FSA: Financial Statement Analysis CF: Corp Finance EQT: Equity FI: Fixed Income DER: Derivative AI: Alternative Investments PM: Portfolio Management

Ah ha, gotcha. I didn’t think “ECO” :wink: was that bad…To me it seems really just about understanding the relationship between one curve and its relating curves. Plus it includes some common sense and you can go through a long chain of events to find the outcome (Fed buys…money goes to banks…banks can lend…etc) Granted if I don’t keep looking over the charts i’d forget them in a week or so but I found it easier than the Quant section. I’m trying to do if not every night then every other night a 30 question test in the Qbank covering all the material I’ve gone over so far. It keeps me remembering some stuff I know I would of forgot already but still Quant seems to be my downfall (mostly z/t tables and hypothesis testing for some reason).

Logged 202 hours thus far. I’ve read all of the CFA materials twice and I’m starting on Schweser today. I’m probably over-studying but I want to build a good foundation because I plan on sitting for LVL 2 in June.

I have logged 0 hours thus far. I just registered for the exam and I’m waiting on the material to arrive. My background consist of undergrad in business admin (finance concentration) completed this past May.

Logged about 100 hours thus far. I’ll be done with the CFAI books next week then I plan to read all of the stalla study materials and watch the lectures. Late October and Novemeber will be nothing but working practice problems and sample tests.

How do you guys plan on studying the last 2-3 weeks before the exam? What about the last week before the exam? Go over formulas mostly, do practice problems a lot, take a mock exam? Or a little of everything.

allegro-cpa/cfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How do you guys plan on studying the last 2-3 > weeks before the exam? What about the last week > before the exam? Go over formulas mostly, do > practice problems a lot, take a mock exam? Or a > little of everything. the last 2 weeks for me will be finalizing and brushing up. I also will do the mock exam as soon as its available. once mid october arrives Ill start doing the non electronic versions of the sample exams. Im not too concerned about formulas. if you do enough practice problems the formulas will be understood and more importantly you will grasp the concepts of those formulas. the CFAI knows anyone can plug numbers into a calculator, you’ve got to know the mechanics of the formulas and how they work. you can never do too many practice problems though, lol.

Guys, I am so glad to join this forum. I already started to log my progress. Here it is so far: 08/31 SS2: Quantitative Methods R8 2h 50 min 12:02 PM - 02:52 PM Billable 08/26, Thursday 05:00:12 SS2: Quantitative Methods R7 5h 0 min 09:51 AM - 02:51 PM Billable 08/23, Monday 04:30:00 SS2: Quantitative Methods R6 4h 30 min 09:50 AM - 02:50 PM Billable 07/31, Saturday 04:00:00 SS2: Quantitative Methods R5 4h 0 min 10:49 AM - 02:49 PM Billable I will keep you guy updated. Good luck everyone on your preparation.

BayStreet Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > allegro-cpa/cfa Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How do you guys plan on studying the last 2-3 > > weeks before the exam? What about the last > week > > before the exam? Go over formulas mostly, do > > practice problems a lot, take a mock exam? Or > a > > little of everything. > > the last 2 weeks for me will be finalizing and > brushing up. I also will do the mock exam as soon > as its available. once mid october arrives Ill > start doing the non electronic versions of the > sample exams. > > Im not too concerned about formulas. if you do > enough practice problems the formulas will be > understood and more importantly you will grasp the > concepts of those formulas. the CFAI knows anyone > can plug numbers into a calculator, you’ve got to > know the mechanics of the formulas and how they > work. you can never do too many practice problems > though, lol. that sounds like a good plan. how many mocks will you do?

allegro-cpa/cfa Wrote: > > that sounds like a good plan. how many mocks > will you do? I will do the mock from the CFAI last - they only give one. but they have a sample exam they post and I ordered the 6 schweser practice exams, so mid-end of october Ill start doing the paper copies. This is how I’ve planned my studying: - read CFAI curriculum + do end of chapter questions as I go - end of chapter schweser book questions to refresh concepts and see which areas I might need to review a bit more. - qbank practice exams - advanced level only questions - schweser practice exams - the paper ones - CFAI mock exam - they only give you one. - pass real exam

Hi All, can anyone suggest me which Qbank should buy??? right now i am studying Schweser 2010 notes and solving the concept check papers only …what all should be follow apart from notes…please suggest…

BayStreet Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > - pass real exam Pass real exam is action item on ur plan :smiley: that is very nice. wht is the difference between Qbank and Practice exam? are they both by schweser? how many Q are in Qbank and Practice exam? also how do we get the CFAI Mock exam? is it in the books they sent us? My plan for now… reading schweser notes and doing EOC exam I am concentration on finishing the first read, want to finish by end of September. FSA by Tuesday tht would leave me CF, EQT, FI DER AI and PM. Beginning Oct i will do both schweser and CFAI EOC questions. and re read the topic i am weak on.then i was planning to buy some mock exams in Nov( have not decided which one) ooo and pass the real exam in Dec :wink: Buzz

cfabuzz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wht is the difference between Qbank and Practice > exam? are they both by schweser? how many Q are in > Qbank and Practice exam? > > also how do we get the CFAI Mock exam? is it in > the books they sent us? > > > ooo and pass the real exam in Dec :wink: > Buzz haha yes passing is on my list. I ordered the essential prep package from schweser. I got the qbank with that and 2 exam booklets each with 3 exams (so 6 in total). the exam books have printed exams (a morning and afternoon session). the qbank exams dont have a morning and afternoon session, but you can choose to make an exam with 120 questions which would simulate one of the two sittings on exam day. the CFA practice exams and mock exams are different types of exams. It seems that the sample exams are just questions (each exam is 2 hrs) where as the mock is supposed to simulate the real exam (6 hrs 240 questions). http://www.cfainstitute.org/mycfa/candidate/Resources/studyaids/practice/Pages/index.aspx the CFAI puts out samples on the website on October 1 and the mock is November 1.

Now that its been a month (few days past) since I started studying I can gauge my future progress - at the same rate that I’m at now (82 hours this past month) I’ll have around 328 hours total. Probably more since the closer it gets the more hours I’ll be taching on each night. For some reason when I started studying I calculated out something like 260 hours…wayy off