Study Method for the final two weeks

I am going to take 2 weeks off before the exam for revision. Making good use of these 2 weeks is essential for the exam. I have a question on what’s the most effective way for preparation. Is it better to:- a) select 2 - 3 sessions to study everyday. focus on doing these 2-3 sessions’ questions using sample exam, past exams, CFA textbook. So, I drill one to two topics in detail every day. or b) do one sample exam every day. I cover all topic one day, but just on a brief level. Then repeat the same process every day. Which one is more effective? or do you have other suggestions?

What I’m doing, review one section everyday, problems, quick read, etc. Last week pratice tests and review weak areas. Also review the must knows… GIPS, individual investor, behaverial, pension, risk management, FI, etc.

Thanks BiPolarBoyBoston for your suggestion. So, for the 1st week, I’ll review one or two section every day in details. the for 2nd week, i’ll do one practice exam a day + revie weak areas. That’s very useful.

Don’t listen to me, I’m an idiot but smart enough to know that I’m not that smart and need to review my weaker areas. You will need to know certain things on the exam, individual, an insitutional, GIPs, Fixed Income, ethics, everything else is a draw of luck. If you don’t know the core by now you’re in bad shape. I studied enough core that I think I can do OK. Trying to out luck luck by reviewing a bunch of stuff. If you don’t know the core material I suggest u study it and learn as much as you can and min. Mistakes on your strong sections. P.S. I’m a 1st timer so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

My biggest difference for Level 3 is that after months of reading, I am still not in a position to put my notes aside and focus entirely on answering questions. I’m relying heavily on reading my notes again and again. I hope this improves over the next two weeks.

Hi a_thinking_ape, Are you going to revise one to two session every day? pros: focus on two sessions in detail every day. cons: you may forget the other sessions. or Are you going to do the sample exam going through all the questions but on a brief level every day? then, repeat the same process until the exam day. pros: refresh yourself on all topics every day. cons: but all topic are on brief level but gradually towards the exam while you’ve read through the whole exams again and again, your comfort level rises. which one is better?

My study plan is un/fortunately skewed by a bachelor party in Vegas, but heres my plan: This weekend - take a full Schweser Exam; Schweser Online Mock Identify key areas to study for the coming week Total exams completed by Sunday: 6.5 (including CFA Sample) Exams remaining: 1 full Schweser exams, 3 AM sessions (2007, 2008, 2009), CFA Mock Exam First week: Cram Ethics, GIPS, Asset Manager Standards Review key weak points; do practice problems as needed Monday/Tuesday: Complete and review 2007 AM session Wednesday-Saturday: Bring notecard “focus pack,” Secret Sauce, study sheets/curriculum reviews, CFA Insitute Ethics Book, and Schweser practice exams (to review answer sections) to Vegas. Cross fingers there will be time to study by the pool/on the flights/while hungover Second week (off from work): Cram Ethics, GIPS, Asset Manager Standards Review key weak points; do practice problems as needed Monday: 2008 AM Exam, CFA Mock Exam (PM) Tuesday: 2009 AM Exam Wednesday: Final Schweser Exam Thursday: Final review day Friday: Do nothing. Probably run, maybe a steak dinner Saturday: CFA-pocalypse. Blackout.

Rustyrudder, thanks for your detailed plan for my reference. Wow, you have completed 6.5 exams already?

Hi Candee, I have a mock exam this Saturday in Sydney and I’m using that as an incentive to be as ready as possible. I’m skimming over my notes for each study session and attempting every CFA & Sch EOC question after reading (I’m no longer looking at the text). I thought I would be getting through more than two study sessions a day but that’s my rate at the moment. I’ve got another 7 SS of “final review” and also intend to look at the past CFA papers (2009-2005) and Schweser Volume 1 again. So it’ll be more memorising notes, answering questions & looking at practice questions. I don’t think I’ll resort to qbank again. I might be alone here but I don’t fully value taking exams under exam conditions and using your score as a progress tracker. I’m going with the approach of trying to learn and master as much now and hopefully answer enough questions correctly on 6th June!!

Hi a_thinking_ape, You’re drilling several sessions every day. so, you’re using method a , instead of doing the mock exam all in one go, one by one day by day. when you do session by session, you’re also picking out the relevant questions (from CFA textbook, sch EOC and sample exams).

rustyrudder Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My study plan is un/fortunately skewed by a > bachelor party in Vegas, but heres my plan: > > This weekend - take a full Schweser Exam; Schweser > Online Mock > Identify key areas to study for the coming week > Total exams completed by Sunday: 6.5 (including > CFA Sample) > Exams remaining: 1 full Schweser exams, 3 AM > sessions (2007, 2008, 2009), CFA Mock Exam > > First week: > Cram Ethics, GIPS, Asset Manager Standards > Review key weak points; do practice problems as > needed > Monday/Tuesday: Complete and review 2007 AM > session > Wednesday-Saturday: Bring notecard “focus pack,” > Secret Sauce, study sheets/curriculum reviews, CFA > Insitute Ethics Book, and Schweser practice exams > (to review answer sections) to Vegas. Cross > fingers there will be time to study by the pool/on > the flights/while hungover > > Second week (off from work): > Cram Ethics, GIPS, Asset Manager Standards > Review key weak points; do practice problems as > needed > Monday: 2008 AM Exam, CFA Mock Exam (PM) > Tuesday: 2009 AM Exam > Wednesday: Final Schweser Exam > Thursday: Final review day > Friday: Do nothing. Probably run, maybe a steak > dinner > Saturday: CFA-pocalypse. Blackout. dude, if you find yourself standing on the roof of your hotel in Vegas and one of the guys in your bachelors party offers you a drink just to get night started…I would just say no seriously though, a bachelors the week before the exam - you are brave my friend