Study Progress

Just want to get an idea of where most people are in their study schedule. Personally, I’ve just finished the first of the three Uppermark handbooks which is comprised of the quant methods. So it’s one down and two more to go for me :smiley:

1 Like

Your way ahead of the game. I’ve been dabbling here and there, got some real estate methods down and some of the handbook of alternative assets done, but nothing really concrete. I am going to start cracking down next week.

1 Like

That first book was the toughest in my opinion. Don’t sweat it if you feel overwhelmed. The second two books are not nearly as bad.

1 Like

>That first book was the toughest in my opinion. Don’t sweat it if you feel overwhelmed … Good to know that. I admit I felt overwhelmed while I was studying for the first book. The quant and the equations are not exactly difficult, but the problem is there are so many of them that looks alike, so you need to have a clear head and able to distinguish the minor differences and how and when to use the right one.

1 Like

I started the Quant section a week ago (feeling relatively behind). There are a lot of definitions of terms. How do you think they will be tested on the exam? Thanks.

1 Like

>How do you think they will be tested on the exam? I would guess they’re similar to what you will see on the TestBank or whatever Schweser is calling their simulated test questions. Actually, I believe the other thread in this forum has a link to some sample questions from the official CAIA site. You should take a look at those as well. Btw, are you using Uppermark or Schweser materials?

1 Like

Thanks. I am using Schweser, but I have not followed a disciplined schedule. I took a break from studying last week and just picked up Quant again. Hope I have enough time to study to pass!

1 Like

You still have plenty of time :wink:

1 Like

Just finished another Uppermark handbook. The last of the three books will cover managed futures, private equity and credit derivatives.

1 Like

Dang! I am still on the first Schweser book. Will have to speed it up a little bit. The weather is not helping either, who wants to be indoors when it is hot out.

1 Like

@Iginla-Schweser just has 2 books right?

1 Like

manavecplan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @Iginla-Schweser just has 2 books right? Yes. the 3rd book is practise questions. How is your progress?

1 Like

here is another update to my study progress: i haven’t cracked open a textbook, but i have skimmed through schweser’s first book (but haven’t done any problems). i need some motivation. i work for an asset manager and don’t know if the caia will really benefit me from a career view (sure it will from a learning and knowledge perspective). do you think the designation will help in CA? i think it would be more useful in NY.

1 Like

So, I don’t think anybody is doing CAIA for immediate benefits. Think of it as a value investing. Just like those who got CFA in the 80’s and early 90’s. Almost all of them have top level mgmt positions or are managing funds, etc. This will probably help you say, 5-6 yrs down. Also, I think CAIA is a lot more in demand in NY and (believe it or not) Toronto. Outside of that, not really. I work for an Asset Management firm as well.

1 Like

Iginla2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So, I don’t think anybody is doing CAIA for > immediate benefits. Think of it as a value > investing. Just like those who got CFA in the 80’s > and early 90’s. Almost all of them have top level > mgmt positions or are managing funds, etc. This > will probably help you say, 5-6 yrs down. Also, I > think CAIA is a lot more in demand in NY and > (believe it or not) Toronto. Outside of that, not > really. I work for an Asset Management firm as > well. +1. I’m doing it for the same reasons.

1 Like

I think the CAIA will gain a lot more traction later too. Better to get it done now while there is a 70% pass rate. In addition, there is demand in big firm for even portfolio managers to get their CAIA so they can increase their portfolio’s allocation of AI for clients. It’s a firm wide push for all U.S. cities.

1 Like

Any updates on the study progress? I am well behind most here, but am shifting gears this week.

1 Like

I’m in the middle of the section for PE. The only section left to cover is Credit Derivatives which should be a breeze for me. I expect to start the complete review at the end of this month.

1 Like

I’ve been lagging big time I’m half way through the first book. Going to hit it hard this weekend and hopefully get through the rest of it. I’m going to put off the CFA ethics part till the end I didn’t even study it for level III and passed so what the hell! It’s very hard to study in the summer

1 Like

I have like a book to go all in all…half of book 1 and half of book 2. Hope to finish off Book 2 by the weekend…

1 Like