study tips for CAIA II

I have several more weeks to prepare for the exam but still haven’t gone through all the study materials. Find essay question very hard to study as there is no focus, questions can pop up on any topics. Does anyone know the chances of passing the exam by only focusing on multiple choices questions? Or any good strategu on study for essays?

I’ve been studying and doing mock exams for a couple weeks now. The essay section will be my weaker section too. I’m aiming for 80% on the multiple choice because it counts for 70% of the overall exam weighting giving me 56 points. I’ll only need 14/30 on the essay section to get an overall score of 70, which is a pass. I’m averaging just over 80 on the three mock exams so I’m hoping that I’m in good shape. But I’m going to be working on my essay skills in the next couple weeks. I write Oct. 1

73% on 2 mocks without counting Ethics (I’ll get 100% on that). I’m feeling Ok. Tomorrow I review essays and hammer hedge funds (my weakest link). Who’s crushing this thing with me?? I take it on the 20th.

I am taking it on the 30th. Anyone know why the passing rate has dropped so much over the last two years? Did they make the questions harder or just raised the bar on the passing score?

jy2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am taking it on the 30th. > > Anyone know why the passing rate has dropped so > much over the last two years? Did they make the > questions harder or just raised the bar on the > passing score? They used to curve the sht out of Level 2. Then once applications picked up, the curve spread narrowed. I’ve heard rumors that they are beginning to lean on NO curve, and that only scores above 70% will be considered passing. I’ll ask a friend of mine. He’s flying out Amhearst to grade these things throughout October. I’ll get him drunk the night before and tell him to go easy on us!

I’m getting a bit of indigestion. There is just so much detail to remember. Take topic 7 for example, they’re talking about credit derivatives, weather derivates, hedge fund replication and structured products and that’s just one topic.

I will try to memorise the essay questions in the testbank only. Hopefully that would be sufficient to get me a passing grade for the essays! Trying to remember every single topic and learning objectives would just confuse me.