Successful Retabulation

Imagine the reputational risk CFA Institute has if they reverse the outcome from Fail to Pass as a result of Retabulation. I don’t think they cross check each individual marked answers in the answer sheet with the actual correct answers in Retab. They will only add up the marks of each subject’s scores and ensure that the Addition was correct. Though the Retabulation should actually be manually checking each of the marked answers in the answer sheet to ensure that automated Machine actually read the marked answer choice correctly.

I assume that if you change your pencil between different subjects during the exam, it might be a possibility that automated machine couldn’t read some of the marked answer choices because it was marked lightly or incorrectly.

when was this case? And how have you heard about it? I called CFA rep and he told me retabulation never resulted in a success revision of a score.

so what was the result? was the score changed?

Retabulation anywhere is just a way to make more money. It changes nothing.

The only time I would consider a retabulation is if I felt super strong going in, came out of the exam thinking I passed it easily and then the results suggested I was in the 10th percentile. That would suggest something has been marked incorrectly at some point in the chain.

I have been 2-3 marks short the last two years but I have accepted that I didn’t know enough on the day. The exam scores that are very close to the mps will be checked very thoroughly. You can imagine the reputational damage to the CFA if someone was changed from a fail to a pass.