Sun Trust Robinson Humphrey Program

I was given a heads up by a contact at Morgan Stanley that Sun Trust Robinson Humphrey (Investment Banking Division of Sun Trust) was coming to my campus to recruit. The programs are for two years in: Portfolio Management Analyst Investment Banking Analyst - Debt Capital Markets Investment Banking Analyst I was just curious as to anyones thoughts. I never even knew that Sun Trust had an IBD, but then again I never cared looked. Is this something worth pursuing? Could I switch to a BB job after doing a year or both years in these programs? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link since I didn’t want to write all the information: https://www.suntrust.com/portal/server.pt?space=Opener&control=OpenObject&cached=true&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=7&in_hi_ClassID=512&in_hi_userid=2&in_hi_ObjectID=1049&in_hi_OpenerMode=2&

PM analyst looks good. What school do you go to?

University of Florida

I don’t know firsthand, but I’ve only heard negative things about Sun Trust’s banking program, including very low pay.

It’s going to be mostly mid-market stuff as they’re not really known as a big ibanking shop. I’d ask a lot of questions in the PM interview just to make sure you’re not getting thrown into financial planning. I actually think the DCM position may be your best shot out of those three. Not that this is the case across the board, but I think at a shop like suntrust, DCM brings you closer to the firms expertise while still keeping you in the IB game… Also, to answer your question, it will be tough but not impossible to switch to a BB bank from there…

from your background, only the PM route would be value added. stay away from banking here. more like a genral mid market and they lose business to leaner firms anyway.

Sun Trust always pays 1st tier bonuses.

HoldSideAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sun Trust always pays 1st tier bonuses. Bonus bumper!

Thanks for the responses guys. There is an info session that they are holding before interviews on Thursday. I’ll be able to give some more details on what is actually done in these programs. I also think the PM analyst is the only one available looking at the career website.

We just hired a gal out of Suntrusts DCM program. She is really smart and probably has the best modelling skills of anyone I work with. Her pay was like $60K plus $15-25K bonus potential, which is comparable to equity research. $60K isn’t a ton in Atlanta though.

RAwannabeCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > We just hired a gal out of Suntrusts DCM program. > She is really smart and probably has the best > modelling skills of anyone I work with. Her pay > was like $60K plus $15-25K bonus potential, which > is comparable to equity research. $60K isn’t a > ton in Atlanta though. $60k is plenty of base salary for a first year in Atlanta. I had an offer there at $55k + $5k signing two years ago (street was $60k+$10 signing). And I’m not 100% about other shops, but research bonuses are well above $15-25k. First year average bonus was more than 100% this summer. Not really sure I have a point, other than that its good money, but definitely below what the street pays. Atlanta is a nice place to live, but exit opps will not be on par with some of the larger shops. But like RA experienced, you will still be working with sharp people and should still develop a strong skill set.

RJ was 50 + 5 + 30 in 2006

That’s slave wages in banking.

I was talking about ER

I agree in principle with DirtyZ. As horrible a career path as investment banking is, getting paid $60-80k pretty much is garbage no matter the geography. Having spent the last 3 weeks at my current job wearing socks, sandals, and a t-shirt, working 45 hours per week, and with great future prospects with this company (including working from home 2 days per week), I can’t imagine ever going back to investment banking or any of its peripherals. You’d probably have to offer me 150k to to get me to consider returning to ibanking as an analyst. I say run from SunTrust and run from Goldman Sachs. Your life–your humanity–is worth so much more than any pay check (that you’ll no doubt blow) from an ibank.