Super Bowl Indicator

Does this theory hold water at all? I have not paid attention to prior years Super Bowls and market performance concurrently. Perhaps Joey could assist? http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/superbowlindicator.asp Super Bowl Indicator An indicator based on the belief that a Super Bowl win for a team from the old AFL (AFC division) foretells a decline in the stock market for the coming year, and that a win for a team from the old NFL (NFC division) means the stock market will be up for the year. Chalk it up to coincidence, but this indicator has been surprisingly accurate (around 85% correct) over the past years. Even so, you probably shouldn’t bet the farm on it.

KJH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does this theory hold water at all? I have not > paid attention to prior years Super Bowls and > market performance concurrently. > > Perhaps Joey could assist? > Um, Go Giants!

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > KJH Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Does this theory hold water at all? I have not > > paid attention to prior years Super Bowls and > > market performance concurrently. > > > > Perhaps Joey could assist? > > > Um, Go Giants! I thought you were “comfortably” short the index.

I love how they say its 85% accurate and give no data to back that up.

Well that NFC run in the 1990’s during the tech bubble certainly helped push that number to 85%.

Well, this reminds me of the study they did a while back where they had a monkey throw darts at a WSJ table of stocks, and compared that with picks of top equity fund managers. More time than not, the monkey’s dart choices returned more than the fund managers. Shhh, don’t tell anyone :wink:

In your face, pats fans

Haha, I called out Joey since he is a seasoned market observer who may have heard of this indicator and either contested it or agreed with it. Other indicators from Investopedia include; Boston Snow Short Skirt Aspririn Cardboard Box Help Wanted And so on. They seem quite silly but the ‘research’ claims there is truth to it.

Well, I hope this turns out true for the upcoming year.

G I A N T S!!! GIANTS! GIANTS! GIANTS!!! Greatest Superbowl EVER!

I’m renaming my first-born to Eli. I hope that doesn’t make her too unhappy.

She’ll be just fine…you can pronounce it as Elleee…just don’t let her know your secret intentions. She might hate you later in life but that’s what money and gifts are for, right Joey??

My life fades, my vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land. Most of all, I remember the man we called Eli, the road warrior. … He wandered out into the wasteland, and here he would learn, amid the dark wreckage, that the fire which burns in the heart of man, will endure. Hope survives.

That’s Deep Joey, really Deep.

GIANTS!

GIANTS BABY WOOOOOOOO!!! What a game!!!

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m renaming my first-born to Eli. I hope that > doesn’t make her too unhappy. Eli Plaxico!!!

She lives in Boston and is afraid she would be mugged. Not sure what I’m going to do yet.