Switch from IT to Business

Anecdotal evidence is dangerous. There is a UVA law graduate at my firm that’s “only” making 75k. When I saw that I was like UVA must not be as good as I thought or law school bubble. But at the end of the day, it comes down to the person and experience.

Zesty Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anecdotal evidence is dangerous. There is a UVA > law graduate at my firm that’s “only” making 75k. > When I saw that I was like UVA must not be as good > as I thought or law school bubble. But at the end > of the day, it comes down to the person and > experience. i used anectdocta evidence from three different candidates at three different schools having the same experience. either my friends at wharton, uva, and cornell are total losers, or there is something else going on in the biz right now

Anyone who is thinking on going to business from IT is out of their mind. There is enormous opportunities in IT, and good chances to get a fat VC funding. This opps wont be there forever so it is now or never

Builders is wack I just wanted to point that out.

Not really, it boils down to one’s perception… IT Services provided by most of the outsourcing companies are into low end service… also, personally, my interest lies into finance…m an accounting grad and did Post Grad Diploma in Financial Analysis. I was compelled to join IT in 2001 due to global market meltdown and the salary was peanut back then (an Equity Analyst was paid Rs. 10,000 per month thats about $ 240)

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Builders is wack I just wanted to point that out. @wake how many people do you know at a Top 5 schools like Wharton and a top 13 school like UVA and Top 18 school like Cornell who are currently in the interview process and getting multiple offers? please, enlighten us.

builders Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so aside from the 90%+ users on this site i > actually have perspective. http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/20101101/best-and-worst-mba-job-placement-of-2010/: “This year [2010], recruiting started to bounce back, with all but three of the top 30 schools improving their job placement rates. Schools such as Emory University’s Goizueta Business School (Goizueta Full-Time MBA Profile) and the University of Texas at Austin’s McCombs School of Business (McCombs Full-Time MBA Profile), managed to boost their job placement rate by more than 10 percentage points over last year. Meanwhile, some schools like Dartmouth University’s Tuck School of Business (Tuck Full-Time MBA Profile) managed to get their offer rate almost back to prerecession levels, with 97 percent of the class reporting job offers within three months of graduation. For most schools, though, it has been a hard slog. Job placement numbers at the majority are still not quite back to where they were before the financial crisis hit. On average, about 12 percent of graduates were still jobless at the three-month mark. The sluggish job market has also hurt starting salaries and signing bonuses, which are flat or down at most schools. " http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/nov2010/bs20101110_255552.htm “As director of the Career Development Center at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business, Oakes had watched the Great Recession choke off his students’ job opportunities…By graduation in May, 77 percent of the class had job offers; three months later the figure reached 87 percent” http://www.usnews.com/education/articles/2010/06/18/more-mba-graduates-will-get-jobs-in-2010 " Cornell University’s S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management, for instance, assigns career advisers to each student, which helped 95 percent of the 2009 M.B.A. class get hired by year’s end. The school plans to do the same this year, but in a quicker time frame, thanks to the improving market.” http://xingfu.us/mba-application-resources/mba-job-placement-rates-trending-higher-in-2010/ “This year, on average, about 12 percent of graduates at the top 30 schools, or one in eight, still hadn’t received even one job offer by the three-month mark. That’s an improvement from last year, when one in five students were jobless three months after graduation. Salaries are flat or down at 23 of the 30 schools, with starting pay averaging $97,049, inching up only $549 from 2009.”

A while ago, there was a guy on AF who said his friend’s mother was a retired HR executive from Goldman Sachs. Therefore, somehow by this association, he was an expert in finance recruitment. I thought I would just throw that out there.

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone who is thinking on going to business from > IT is out of their mind. There is enormous > opportunities in IT, and good chances to get a fat > VC funding. This opps wont be there forever so it > is now or never +1, Hits the nail on head! I graduated in ECE but took job in finance, after 1.5 years I’ve switched back in IT. There is nothing close to IT if you are young and you want to grow your net worth rapidly. Technology is still a bubble, but won’t be for much long. Entrepreneurs are flooding the market and scraping away every little opportunity that exists, slowly barriers to entry in all the subsets of technology are increasing, and in some cases they have gone insane, but there there are many sub fields in IT where barriers to entry are very low. And, I’m talking about R&D barrier.