Switch from IT to Business

Hi Guys, I am currently working as an IT Business Analyst Consultant in Trust Servicing business at Jersey City, NJ. I have over 10 years of experience working as an IT Business Analyst in investment banking area. I have passed CFA Level 1 and registered for Level 2, I am planning to switch job as an Associate in IB area. I have about 9 months experience as an Equity Research Analyst with a Broking House in India back in 2001. Do you think I am being realistic in switching? How should I approach the job market and what should be my plan? Any tips or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

no. kids at top business schools arent even getting offers in banking when the firms are actively recruiting them, you have even less of a chance than that and im talking about a 1st year wharton mba student, a 1st year darden mba student, and a 1st year cornell mba student,…3 different schools, three similiar experiences. so aside from the 90%+ users on this site i actually have perspective.

He passed Series 7 too. Therefore, he must be baller.

if you can do it, do it experience trumps mba’s and aholes alike

I love these posts, keep em coming

@ builders Thanks…you seem to have a perspective and you seem to match the opinion of majority that the IB field has not stabilised much in terms of job market. @ mar350 Thank you for your support. I am also banking on my experience and thinking of giving a shot…at least I would have tried! Any other suggestions, thoughts will be appreciated. Should I start floating my CV? How should I prepare?

Abdemanaf Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Thank you for your support. I am also banking on > my experience and thinking of giving a shot…at > least I would have tried! > > Any other suggestions, thoughts will be > appreciated. Should I start floating my CV? How > should I prepare? I’m sorry what experience do you have is applicable to becoming an investment banker? Go to a top 5 business school. That’s your only chance, even then its not even close to being guaranteed.

builders Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > no. > > kids at top business schools arent even getting > offers in banking when the firms are actively > recruiting them, you have even less of a chance > than that > > and im talking about a 1st year wharton mba > student, a 1st year darden mba student, and a 1st > year cornell mba student,…3 different schools, > three similiar experiences. > > so aside from the 90%+ users on this site i > actually have perspective. UVA and Cornell are top business schools now?

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > builders Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > no. > > > > kids at top business schools arent even getting > > offers in banking when the firms are actively > > recruiting them, you have even less of a chance > > than that > > > > and im talking about a 1st year wharton mba > > student, a 1st year darden mba student, and a > 1st > > year cornell mba student,…3 different schools, > > three similiar experiences. > > > > so aside from the 90%+ users on this site i > > actually have perspective. > > UVA and Cornell are top business schools now? i would say they are.

Daren is around T12-15. Solid school. A few of my buddies go to law school at UVA and they say the MBA students crank out ridiculous hours compared to how much they’re studying. Cornell is T20 but I’d say UVA is definitely a few steps ahead. Cornell is more known for its MMH degree than anything.

I thought Darden was a restaurant chain.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I thought Darden was a restaurant chain. you were thinking ‘Olive Garden’ - its the breadsticks

Hey, they also have Red Lobster. I know three random people who have eaten there and they had the same good experience. Therefore, I have more perspective than 90% of the people here in judging restaurant quality.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey, they also have Red Lobster. I know three > random people who have eaten there and they had > the same good experience. Therefore, I have more > perspective than 90% of the people here in judging > restaurant quality. Probably correct. Also, Red Lobster and Olive Garden are top restaurants.

Red Lobster > CFA Level II ?

ok there is a wharton kid in the mix there, and for this forums information the guy i know at darden got 6 of the SAME EXACT interviews at top iBanks (jmp, ms, barclays, gs, cs, jefferies) as the kid i know at Wharton so yes, i guess you could say Darden is close to a top tier school. also, the darden kid i know is a JD too, and he got 1 iBanking offer out of 9 iBanking interviews. truth.

Long Horn > Olive Garden > Red Lobster

Oh look…it’s this thread again…

builders Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ok there is a wharton kid in the mix there, and > for this forums information the guy i know at > darden got 6 of the SAME EXACT interviews at top > iBanks (jmp, ms, barclays, gs, cs, jefferies) as > the kid i know at Wharton > > so yes, i guess you could say Darden is close to a > top tier school. also, the darden kid i know is a > JD too, and he got 1 iBanking offer out of 9 > iBanking interviews. > > truth. i didn’t realize 11% offer rate with a JD and an MBA was the new killing it. thanks for your highly anecdotal truth.

@justin88 no, its not killing it at all. this thread was about the first poster making the switch to banking and i was just showing how unlikely it is for him to do so by simply passing Level I and sitting for Level II in june. he basically doesnt even have a chance, as evidenced by the track records of my friends who are highly credentialed and at very good schools having limited to no success.