Take some time off after graduation?

Because of all these recession talks, I am thinking about in case I cannot find the job I really like when I graduate this summer, I just take some time off until things picking up again. Is this a good idea?

…do you have bills to pay?

You definitely don’t want any gaps in your resume. You’ll get asked about that for years to some. You can take time off from work, but do something. Volunteer. Help old people or kids or something. Crap like that looks impresses B-Schools (for some reason) and, at the least, fills the hole on your resume.

MBAFinance, didn’t you say in August that you got hired by Lehman? Then in the last couple of weeks, didn’t you also say you were interviewing at GS for research and also got an offer as a commodities trader at some other company?

Agree with joemontana.

I don’t think taking time off is such a bad thing in itself, but it is true that in the finance/asset management industry it can be perceived as being lazy or a sign of lack of direction. This is an industry that is pretty unforgiving of such things. Also, the industry has a tendency to recruit straight out of schools, and if you miss that window, it’s a lot harder to get in at other points. However, if there is a very specific opportunity that you are taking time off to pursue, that can make it a little easier to weather. For example, you want to learn Chinese, so you take some time off to go to China to do a language program. That may still make things difficult down the road, but it still sounds way better than saying, “I didn’t know what to do, so I took some time off, and I always liked asian food/architecture/girls, so I went to China.”

You could also check out this site for ideas: http://www.studyinsweden.se/

Well, I am prepared to take some time is because I don’t want to take a job that I don’t like. I am afraid to take on deadend job, and have to switch a year after. Isn’t that worse than wait for six months?

MBAFinance, your story doesn’t add up, so I don’t understand what kind of “help” you want us to provide. I repeat, didn’t you say in August that you got hired by Lehman? Then in the last couple of weeks, didn’t you also say you were interviewing at GS for research and also got an offer as a commodities trader at some other company?

I interned at Lehman, not full time job offer. GS have not got back to me yet – I heard no hiring in North America, so that job doesn’t count. Commodity trading position is just a lead, I don’t know if there will be a position or not in this enviroment. I interviewed a lot, but no full time offer – that is why I think I might have to take some time off. Sorry I confused you. My question is: is it a good idea to just wait for the job you like instead of taking whatever comes in the way. Because if that is a deadend job or something I don’t like to do, Chances are I would want to jump ship in a year, that is not going to look good on my resume, isn’t it?

Don’t take any job that you don’t want. Sit around and wait for the perfect job (“dream job”) to call you and offer you $10MM a month for life. *ding, ding* Hear that? Hurry up and pickup, that’s them… P.S. - on an either strangely coincidental or just plan weird note, Numi and MBAFinance registered on this forum at exactly the same minute of the same day (yes, I checked others on this thread and their information was different).

i think it must be a sign that the apocalypse is coming

is numi = MBAFinance like WillyR = FrankArabia?

Nah I don’t think s, Numi has said some pretty intelligent things on here and i think it would be superfluous to create two accounts. Anyone who does that is odd if you ask me. On another note, I start sept.15 and graduate in april…Should i play golf for 4 months and go flying a bit or go travel to europe or something?

do you have an offer? if so, why not enjoy your last few months of freedom?

I disagree with taking the time off. I think taking that time off will hurt you because I felt that was one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made and paying for it. Once you leave school you’re kinda in no man’s land. try to secure a post before you leave school ASAP. there are MBAs who can’t find jobs because once they didn’t get picked up from campus recruiting, they have to look for jobs with the regular folks which is damm hard in this environment. Just my thoughts.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I disagree with taking the time off. I think > taking that time off will hurt you because I felt > that was one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made and > paying for it. Once you leave school you’re kinda > in no man’s land. try to secure a post before you > leave school ASAP. > > there are MBAs who can’t find jobs because once > they didn’t get picked up from campus recruiting, > they have to look for jobs with the regular folks > which is damm hard in this environment. > > Just my thoughts. agreed with Frank here. this is good advice. perseverance will pay off in the end, but at the moment it just isn’t a great time to be looking for jobs

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > P.S. - on an either strangely coincidental or just > plan weird note, Numi and MBAFinance registered on > this forum at exactly the same minute of the same > day (yes, I checked others on this thread and > their information was different). That is freaky deaky. Some new disorder… multiple-cyber pesonality disorder.

I am not numi.

haha… that’s what numi would say.