Take time out, if you do one more thing...

and read your calculator manual!!! Seriously, the amount of time you will save learning to shorten your math will help you concentrate longer on other conceptual problems. Just read it for an hour. Please!

Amberpower: other than the STAT/DATA (for stan dev of sample and population), CF, and TVM, what else is the calculator good for (instead of calculating manually)?!?!?

Nom - effective yld. nCr and nPr, ust read it :slight_smile:

i wouldn’t waste your time at this point… better yet, learn how to master the practice problems via your calculator… you’d be surprised… you’ll likely use the calculator less than you would think…

Depreciation - S/L, SOYD, DB

can someone walk me through the steps of calculating mean, variance, etc using STAT function? Thank you.

Difficult without an example but fisrt you punch the data in key no:7 (Data) and when you are done you go to number 8 (Stats). The best way is to find a manual. You will notice that in the “stat” buttum you will be getting two values one is for whe you are calculating for a population and the other one is for when you are solving for a sample since with a sample you go (n-1)

thank you audrey, will figure it out…it is a bit confusing!

cfaiscomplex Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > can someone walk me through the steps of > calculating mean, variance, etc using STAT > function? Thank you. Do you have the HP or TI calculator?

If u have the HP-12C it’s different.

On the TI, click 2nd then DATA (over the 7). Then click 2nd and CE/C (CLR WORK). Now, X01 shows up, enter your first data point (return for yr. 1 for example). Hit enter and then the down arrow twice. Now, X02 shows up, enter your second data point (return for yr. 2). Do that until you have completed all the years. Now, hit 2nd then STAT (over the 8). Then use the down arrow to scroll through the results…

Wow…this is way faster than doing things by hand…just have to be careful about remembering that Sx is the sample deviation and Sigmax is the population.

amber, I know you have been saying that we should review the calc. manual (yeah! i’ve been following the forum in the shadows, for a couple of weeks now)… and i have been postponing doing that, but i just forced myself to go over it this morning and i just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! even though i know most of the basic functions, there is just so much that can be done faster if you know exactly what to do! a very long winded way of saying thank you! (the morning coffee rush!) :slight_smile:

LOL, glad it is helping!

Well, I just thought this might help others, like it helps me: using DATA and STAT is a huge thing with inventory. Put inventory in X, prices in Y, or the other way around, and you’re safe from typing wrong numbers. Then just go to stats and you’ll find X*Y in a matter of sconds, rather than crossing your fingers hitting operations hopping all was correct.

map1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, I just thought this might help others, like > it helps me: using DATA and STAT is a huge thing > with inventory. Put inventory in X, prices in Y, > or the other way around, and you’re safe from > typing wrong numbers. Then just go to stats and > you’ll find X*Y in a matter of sconds, rather than > crossing your fingers hitting operations hopping > all was correct. ------------------------------------------------ it’s great, Map. you are genius.

Map is there anyway to use these functions to find the probability weighted variance of a distribution? Those types of Qs take a huge number of keystrokes for me!

You have 2 variables, and the probability but you have only 2 positions: X and Y. I don’t think you can use all three, but at least you can use DATA and STAT to calculate expected values for your variable returns in a portfolio.

I prefer using AOS format to calculate X*Y on the TI. Its quite convenient if you don’t wanna use stats worksheet what map suggested!

anupamjain008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I prefer using AOS format to calculate X*Y on the > TI. Its quite convenient if you don’t wanna use > stats worksheet what map suggested! whats AOS format?