Tax effect in WACC calculation

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the consideration of the tax effect when calculating the WACC. I hope this question was not addressed yet - at least I didn’t find a corresponding post.

On the mock exam I saw that in some questions it is explicitly stated that the provided cost of debt is the firms before (or after) - tax cost of debt. However, in other questions there is no statement whatsoever if the provided information is the before/after-tax cost of debt (the following two questions are from the same mock exam):

##########
Question 1: A firm’s before-tax costs of debt, preferred stock, and equity are 12%, 17%, and 20%, respectively. Assuming equal funding from each source and a marginal tax rate of 40%, the weighted average cost of capital (%) is closest to:

Question 2: A firm’s estimated costs of debt, preferred stock, and common stock are 12%, 17%, and 20%, respectively. Assuming equal funding from each source and a marginal tax rate of 40%, the weighted average cost of capital (WAAC) is closest to:

##########

Can I expect that in the exam it is always clear if I need to consider the tax effect when calculating the WACC? Tbh from question 2 it would not be clear to me and I would rather expect that I am dealing with after-tax cost of debt since there is no information that supports the fact that it is the before tax cost of debt. However, according to the answer to question 2 I still need to take the tax effect into consideration.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

It will be explicitly labeled for you. If for some reason they do not and if they provide a tax rate, then you should assume they are providing you with pre-tax figures.