Taxes here I come!

I went in for an interview today for a seasonal tax position. Not only was the partner very impressed with my resume and accomplishments, but also he offered me the job on the spot. We negotiated the salary and if I do well, a bonus will come at the end of the year. This small CPA firm is a step up from the franchise tax preparation outfit I worked at two years ago. High net worth individuals, S Corps, partnerships, etc are the client base this firm services. I’m looking forward to learning as much as possible. My start date is in the middle of January and after I retake Level 1 I’m going to be refreshing myself with tax law. This position fits well with my quest for a full time MBA next fall, as well as some time off to nail Level 2. I’ll use the rest of the summer to travel, volunteer, run some races, etc. One last question, does anyone know of a reputable tax/CPA forum? It would be nice to be able to learn through discussion with taxes as I have with the CFA Program.

Wow - that was fast. Congratulations!

Well done. I hope you enjoy the job.

Congrats. I think taxes are an interesting area that is mostly overlooked by most folks in finance. Maybe you can be the authority on this board when arguments break out about the Obama/McCain tax plans.

TJR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Congrats. I think taxes are an interesting area > that is mostly overlooked by most folks in > finance. Maybe you can be the authority on this > board when arguments break out about the > Obama/McCain tax plans. I hope so. I’ve always been fascinated with taxes. Partially due to the wasteful nature of the business. IRS agents keep a close watch on incoming returns, CPAs/EAs/Accountants/Attorneys learn the tax law and assist clients with paying the least amount of tax they can legally get away with; all of which generates no final product or service. I would like to see a study which shows all the wages paid to the above individuals on an annual basis. It’s wasteful and unnecessary. However taxes are not going away anytime soon, so it is a recession proof business. I’d gladly offer my tax knowledge to the board per request. After Level 1 I’m back reading tax law with the changes for the 2008 year.