Taxes

Can anyone explain to me the difference between: Tax deferred account and account with deferral capital gains and why the formulas are different?

TDA = (1 + R)^N * (1 - Tn) + B*Tn Here B=0 Therefore TDA = (1 + R)^N * (1 - Tn) & TDCGT = (1 + R)^N * (1 - Tcg) + B*Tcg They are the same, only B=0 for TDAs

Thanks for your response. What’s the logic behind this ?

you are paying taxes on capital gains every year and in TDA, you pay taxes at retirement

Tn and Tcg are both a deferred form of tax. The Tn is the tax at withdrawl, while the Tcg is the deferred cg. The B=0 in the TDA because there are not capital gains taxes, so it is irrelevant. If you can understand that Tn = Tcg in concept than you only need to memorize one form.

^ not true. You are deferring taxes till the end of investment horizon and then paying taxes on the final amount. Which is the same as TDA account. Hence the OPs question is legit that what’s the different then? EDIT: This response is to dawgs proposition.

I think the difference is the amount of basis you have for the CG.

TY finale - Need to taxes. Schedule for memorial day weekend time period.

Sponge_Bob_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Tn and Tcg are both a deferred form of tax. The > Tn is the tax at withdrawl, while the Tcg is the > deferred cg. The B=0 in the TDA because there are > not capital gains taxes, so it is irrelevant. If > you can understand that Tn = Tcg in concept than > you only need to memorize one form. TDA is also deferred CG taxed at withdrawal at tax rate at that time.

I think the difference is in TDA, all income (including dividends and interest) are not taxed until some future date. Whereas, any taxable account can have all three forms of return: cap gains, dividends, and interest income… if we only defer cap gains, it will be called as such… But I am not too sure…

oh wait… when you are taxed on cap gains… you are taxed on the difference between your end value and beginning value… you have already paid your normal taxes before you invested in this account, and now, you only pay the tax on cap gains (or defer paying taxes until you sell the assets and realize a gain)… when you have a TDA, you are taxed on the ENTIRE end value of your account…

IMO TDA is the account recieved contribution before-tax such as your superannuation so it has 0 cost basis nature and the whole account together with accrued income are subject to tax upon withdrawal. In contrast in account with deferred capital gains is invested with after-tax money, so only the capital gain part is subject to tax when is realized. Correct me if wrong