Tell me I'm an idiot....

My German is far from perfect, but it is business-fluent, yes.

Germany is definitely something that you should keep on your radar. It is gaining importance globally, it is expat-friendly and it has a significant financial industry.

Bombardier sheveled their Learjet 85 program today and punted 1,000 staff. Down 23%, C$3.17. I feel some recession coming on.

The question is not whether there will be a recession or not, but which regions will be hit more than others. There was an old saying on Wall Street that the world economy flies on 3 engines: US, Europe and China. 2 of the engines are currently non functional. Whether the US can withstand the headwinds from elsewhere is what a lot of people are looking at right now and placing their chips accordingly.

I maintain what I’ve stated here for almost a year now. US does relatively better than the rest of the world and eastern Canada (Ontario, Quebec) does better than western Canada (Alberta, Saskatchewan).

That’s too bad.

Also, as much as I would like to be nationalistic on Bombardier, I am not buying a company with like 85 % debt on its balance sheet. Fuck that.

BTW, can’t think of a canadian company with a bigger international brand recognition than Bombardier.

^molson

If US consumption picks up that has positive implications for many others, especially China.

I think I have yet to see a single person in continental Europe drink Molson.

Yet most people have commuted on Bombardier trains and metros.

Blackberry? RBC? Brookfield? No one knows who makes the trains they ride on. And Molson hasn’t been a Canadian brand for some time.

I would have gone with Canada Goose.

del

Good call on BlackBerry.

biebs and pamela anderson?

BBD is down 38% YTD. Real winner. Financial Post has an article this AM raising the same concerns over their incestuous leadership and family control. No way would this management team be in place if shareholders ran that firm. Absolute failure is the only way to describe it. But the old boys of Quebec lead that firm and guarantee each other a spot in the mess, which will eventually be bailed out by the rest of Canada.

Don’t start with the Québec bashing Geo.

I love Quebec ex-old school political backroom guys like Beadouin. It just really pisses me off that Ottawa will almost certainly bail out this fun old boys club called BBD because that’s what you’ve got to do, otherwise Quebecers will riot. Imagine if Ottawa rushed in to recapitalise all the juniors struggling in Alberta right now… Yet BBD enjoys billions in taxpayer support with more to come, all because the family is well connected and Ottawa dare not allow them to fail. How the family wasn’t wiped out in the last capitalisation is pure cronyism. And something unique to Quebec. Hence my Quebec frustration.

Just saw this thread now. You know exactly what it means. LOL. It’s the same reason you left Canada for Germany.

Instead of assuming that you know anything about me, please enlighten me with your profound knowledge of québécois management. What bothers you ?

Thankfully, I haven’t gone down Bombardier lane. Starting to sour on individual stocks all together. Been surprised too many times over the years, financial restatements, dilution, etc. Get’s old and you certainly believe there are those in the know and you are not one of them. More comforttable with CEFs, BCDs, and REITs at the moment. Having said that, PCLN is starting to get my attention. They might just take over the world and it is well off the highs…Thoughts?

Pierre Beaudoin stepped down today as CEO under pressure for doing absolutely nothing for 6 1/2 years for shareholders (actually destroying 2/3 of the firm’s value). A non - family member is taking the helm, Alain Bellemare. Unfortunately Beaudoin remains Chair and will ensure the family legacy is placed above shareholder interests at all times.

I like the odd pint (or stein) but I don’t find I can drink more than about 4 of them until I get Weissbier mouth.