Test will be calculation heavy or concept heavy?

So Level 1 felt to be more concept heavy and less on the number crunching. I haven’t taken any mock tests, but what do you all think the test will be about. Concepts or calculations.

L2 last year, at least from what I can remember, was very calculation intensive. I hardly put my calculator down during the equity or derivative sections. Sometimes they’ll ask a question that doesn’t involve an actual calculation, but you still have to work the question out in your mind through the formula.

Well the syllabus is pretty 50-50 so that is how the exam should be expected too. I made a mistake last year thinking CFA is supposed to be more concept heavy so should L2 be.

Personally I didn’t think that the two tests I took before were calculation heavy… in fact, my mistake was that I focused on lots of calculation problems going in, only to find that it was conceptual more anything. Yes, you will use your calculator but in a very light way to do required calculations. My $0.02.

I’ve found if you understand the calculations / formulae then you understand the concepts and how they work. That said I thought last years level II exam was brutal and only just made it through!

Id go 50-50, as uni said if you understand the formulas it will help with theory, wouldnt bank on anything, we will never come to any conclusion here

was the exam last year tougher than the mock exam?

Dreary Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Personally I didn’t think that the two tests I > took before were calculation heavy… in fact, my > mistake was that I focused on lots of calculation > problems going in, only to find that it was > conceptual more anything. Yes, you will use your > calculator but in a very light way to do required > calculations. My $0.02. Did you take the L2 exam last year? It was like 3/4 calculations. I would just assume the worst and expect a lot of calculations. My $0.02.

Forget about the syllabus. Just because the syllabus appears to be 50/50 the test will not mimic that weighting. I’m with 4Tay on this one. Plan for the worst and expect a LOT of calculations.

Depends how you look at “worst”…depending on who you are some conceptual questions are harder than quantitative ones, same from level 1… Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Forget about the syllabus. Just because the > syllabus appears to be 50/50 the test will not > mimic that weighting. I’m with 4Tay on this one. > Plan for the worst and expect a LOT of > calculations.

yup, the conceptual questions are the toughest. plug and chug is easy.

homie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yup, the conceptual questions are the toughest. > > plug and chug is easy. Touche. I’d take Swap calculations over any part of FRA any day of the week.

both. pass rate was 39% last year…think about it

At least I can conclude that L2 is more calculation-intensive than L1, right? L1 last year is very concept-based and requires few calculations.

zestzorb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > At least I can conclude that L2 is more > calculation-intensive than L1, right? L1 last year > is very concept-based and requires few > calculations. Yes L2 is more calculation intensive

I hope it is more calculation intensive.

Bilal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hope it is more calculation intensive. BIG TIME! my only chances of passing lol

i remember L2 as being pretty calculation heavy, more than any other level. however, ithe calcs require critical thinking about the concepts. so if you don’t know both, you’ll have a tough time. if you only master the formulas and don’t know why they’re being used, you’ll struggle