The cost of 3 letters....

I feel ashamed as I just broke a promise I made myself… I remember thinking while being a candidate that I would never complain about the membership dues should I pass… well, last year, right after passing my LIII, I did not mind one second paying the $450 (CFAI + local society). But this year… this is hard… not only I have to pay the $450 renewal fee but also another $360 for my CFP due at the same time. This is $810 in total… could have really put this to a better use…

Your firm does not pay for it?

Nope! I’m in retail brokerage. We pay for our own ink and toilet paper. All I can do is deduct it.

What do you think helps more with credibility? Do your clients know what the CFA is?

Absolutely not. Some of them know what the CFP is and this is thanks to that Susan something that used to speak on msnbc

ah, well i’m sure the designations have paid for themselves.

I am also questioning paying both CFAI and NYSSA as they have done nothing to improve their JobLine or listings…in fact as long as NYSSA continues to use efinancial careers I will refuse to pay them

I would not pay for it (my company does because they write my name in their promotional stuff). Unless you’re looking for a job, there is no need to add the letters after your name anyway.

still on level 3, and i dont plan on paying the dues or applying for membership. i have the workexperience

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would not pay for it (my company does because > they write my name in their promotional stuff). Im sure most employees don’t even do that. I am the only one pursuing CFA in my firm. My boss bragged about his employee as a CFA level 2 candidate on the company website but they don’t cover any of the cost!! I asked to give holidays grant at least (so I don’t take days off from my vacation days), they didn’t even consider that.

i am actually just going to use the letters. what is the institute going to do? sue me?

sumz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I would not pay for it (my company does because > > they write my name in their promotional stuff). > > > Im sure most employees don’t even do that. I am > the only one pursuing CFA in my firm. My boss > bragged about his employee as a CFA level 2 > candidate on the company website but they don’t > cover any of the cost!! I asked to give holidays > grant at least (so I don’t take days off from my > vacation days), they didn’t even consider that. I believe you work in Saudi Arabia. That’s outside the jurisdiction of the CFAI :slight_smile: so I guess your employer couldn’t care less about the code of ethics.

Why can’t you just say “passed level 3 cfa exam” once they see your work exp, they’ll know what is up.

CFA = marketing value If my employer didn’t value it or pay for it, then I wouldnt use it. I’d advertise it on my CV when I applied for a job if it was useful and get the next employer to pay for it.