The dreaded pension reading...

…is ten times clearer in the CFA text than in Schweser.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m just about to start that section.

I just finished that reading…while taking a nap. Pretty impressive if you ask me…not sure how much I remember though.

I though Schweser was pretty confusing. Maybe I will check out CFAI for that. I also thought the currency conversion was unclear in Schweser also.

Yeah the Currency Conversion chapter is also, for me, much clearer in the CFA texts. For me, the Schweser notes have too many “Professor Notes” this year (compared to level 1 last year). I think they will come in useful once I have read all the material (and therefore know what the heck he is referring to in study session 17 or LOS 60z or whatever). But for now, in the learning stage, they getting in the way.

Schweser is terribly confusing because they do not draw a clear distinction between the new standard and the old standard. So you are reading down and learning about the funded status and then all of a sudden you are reading about the MLA, and it doesn’t make any sense. I am definitly going to read the entire CFA FSA book.

I’m working through pension right now in the CFAI book and it doesn’t seem so bad…but I’m sure the problems will have me shitting a brick.

The pension reading wasn’t bad, made me very sleepy though.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The pension reading wasn’t bad, made me very > sleepy though. I fell asleep reading it too…and I’m the type who needs a calculator next to me so I can work out the calculations they do in the book…I got through 3 pages right now…I’m definitely good at this.

Spin-The-WACC-Circle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah the Currency Conversion chapter is also, for > me, much clearer in the CFA texts. For me, the > Schweser notes have too many “Professor Notes” > this year (compared to level 1 last year). I think > they will come in useful once I have read all the > material (and therefore know what the heck he is > referring to in study session 17 or LOS 60z or > whatever). But for now, in the learning stage, > they getting in the way. Couldn’t agree more. Every other paragraph I was stopping to read these professor notes most of which is just telling me to look at another LOS. I just skip over them now. Also the material isn’t presented very clearly IMO. Big downgrade from me on Schweser this year.