The End is Near

I just got an e-mail this morning stating that my LII books have been shipped. I have already warned those close to me of my impending disappearance from society. Best, TheChad

You really shouldn’t be dissapearing in August. I admire how fired up some of the new level II candidates are, but seriously you can’t stop your social life for almost a full year. Temper that excitement a bit and good luck.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You really shouldn’t be dissapearing in August. > > I admire how fired up some of the new level II > candidates are, but seriously you can’t stop your > social life for almost a full year. > > Temper that excitement a bit and good luck. Agree wholeheartedly mwvt9… Chad, dude, i seriously admire your enthusiasm, but don’t look at it like a prison sentence, ESPECIALLY since you’re starting sometime in August. You’ve got plenty of time. Good luck though man! The Level 2 exam experience is a regular blast! Not.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >but seriously you can’t stop your > social life for almost a full year. You are making the false assumption that we have social lives…

johnnyblazini Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > >but seriously you can’t stop your > > social life for almost a full year. > > > You are making the false assumption that we have > social lives… Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -Ayn Rand *************************** It appears one of my premises was wrong. I apologize.

yup, my books shipped yesterday too!!! mad excited, dude!!! i will start slowly and ramp up closer to the end of year. I still have to find job and kill CAIA in september.

i’d prioritize employment way ahead of tests but that’s just me. i hope you approach your job search with this much enthusiasm.

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think > you are facing a contradiction, check your > premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. > > -Ayn Rand > *************************** > > It appears one of my premises was wrong. I > apologize. "But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.” - Niels Bohr

burnout in feb…

I think Ayn Rand’s quote there is so limited. A cute statement without much substance. Here are some further questions for the (alleged) deep statement: 1. what is the criteria we use to evaluate the truth value of something? 2. what constitutes right/wrong? 3. how confident are we of this? 4. is it right/wrong in single trial? 5. is it right/wrong over n trials? (how many n?) 6. can something being probabilistically right or wrong? 7. can something be a superposition of right and wrong? (“electron in spin up state” vs. “electron in spin down state”) 8. has Rand ever heard of wave/particle duality of nature? 9. what is better, being “right” 80% of the time with 25% of available information or 98% of the time with 90% of the information? under what circumstances/strategy? 10. what if those premises themselves contain are logical paradoxes? For example: 10a. Sentence number 10b is false. 10b. Sentence number 10a is true. … n.

Good thoughts. The quote just kind of fit the post above it. Meant more to be humerous. I like you thoughts though. I am not bright enough to really have any answers, but I gave it a go below: CAFicionado Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think Ayn Rand’s quote there is so limited. A > cute statement without much substance. > > Here are some further questions for the (alleged) > deep statement: Who said it was deep? > 1. what is the criteria we use to evaluate the > truth value of something? Comes out of your worldview. > 2. what constitutes right/wrong? Again worldview. > 3. how confident are we of this? Can’t answer this. Although I don’t think your confidence matters. In the end there will only be one right answer. > 4. is it right/wrong in single trial? Not sure. > 5. is it right/wrong over n trials? (how many n?) > 6. can something being probabilistically right or > wrong? > 7. can something be a superposition of right and > wrong? (“electron in spin up state” vs. “electron > in spin down state”) > 8. has Rand ever heard of wave/particle duality of > nature? I don’t know her. I am not sure. Kev, you are losing me in your physics talk. :slight_smile: > 9. what is better, being “right” 80% of the time > with 25% of available information or 98% of the > time with 90% of the information? under what > circumstances/strategy? > 10. what if those premises themselves contain are > logical paradoxes? For example: > 10a. Sentence number 10b is false. > 10b. Sentence number 10a is true. This blew my mind… > > … > > n. These were no doubt rhetorical questions, so you can have you laugh at me now. :slight_smile:

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’d prioritize employment way ahead of tests but > that’s just me. i hope you approach your job > search with this much enthusiasm. true, but having level I under belt *may" help my job odds. I am in boston and competition is feirce. I got MIT and Harvard guys eating my lunch : ) - Yes, i am equally excited about job, CFA, and CAIA.

who is your favorite red sox player and why? i’d be prepared for this in interviews. so? who?

there’ll always be the burnout anyhow, but assuming they intend to use only the CFA books, then now might be the time to start. There’ll def be burn-out but you can’t be burnt-out enough with the cfa books info-overload…

Lol, actually looking for “purgatory” threads - the one where the awaiting dudes are @ - so I filter them threads by the topics. yeah, you got me…

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > These were no doubt rhetorical questions, so you > can have you laugh at me now. :slight_smile: You can laugh at me from the Level 3 board! :stuck_out_tongue:

CAFicionado Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > These were no doubt rhetorical questions, so > you > > can have you laugh at me now. :slight_smile: > > You can laugh at me from the Level 3 board! :stuck_out_tongue: I will not be laughing at you. I am still in shock at all the exams you are taking simultaneously. I can’t even imagine trying to pull that off. I hope that I am not laughing at you from level III though. :slight_smile:

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > who is your favorite red sox player and why? > i’d be prepared for this in interviews. > so? > who? Dustin Pedroia. http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3512455

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You really shouldn’t be dissapearing in August. > > I admire how fired up some of the new level II > candidates are, but seriously you can’t stop your > social life for almost a full year. > > Temper that excitement a bit and good luck. hmm, guy sounds like a keener, but if you start too early may risk of forgetting some of it. i already forgot those damn temporal/all current methods already! but i won’t forget how cfai threw us a curve ball with 2 BOP questions on exam day!!!