The Guide Horse Foundation (wait... is this real or a joke?)

“Our mission is to provide a safe, cost-effective and reliable mobility alternative for visually impaired people. The Guide Horse Foundation is committed to delivering Guide Horses at no cost to the blind, relying on un-paid volunteers and charitable donations to pay all travel and housing expenses for the blind handler’s on-site training.”

http://www.guidehorse.org/

I honestly can’t tell…

I feel like a horse would be a terrible guide… any time I’ve been on one it’s been more interested on pushing me off than keeping me from hitting my head on anything

A horse has advantages. They walk in a straight line, not very excitable, quiet, unlikely to attack people, are adapted to outdoors, and they don’t mind just being tied up somewhere when not in use. However, I don’t know if I want to be a blind guy walking behind a horse. Horses poo all the time while walking. You would basically be walking on a carpet of shit. Being blind means you cannot avoid the poo.

Those look like donkeys rather than horses.

Appears to be legit. Not surprisingly, they are used primarily in rural locations and they are miniature horses, not riding-type horses.

My family is originally from the city but bought a small, formerly working farm that was abandoned for a few years and moved out there when I was about 13. They had left hoses there so we had horses. My aunt’s question when she came out was, “hey, it’s cool you have horses, but where do they get their meat?”.

To this day I always picture horses chasing down deer and rabbits in the field and kicking them to death…pretty terrifying sight.

Jumping rope with a horse

My horse does well when I’m riding him drunk.

Guide horses don’t seem like such a bad idea.

they are so adorbs