The Irish solution to the Recession!

Most governments would think to introduce a tax on property or increase the tax on alocohol (being Ireland and all!)… but oh no - that was too complicated - so when the Irish Government decided the only solution to the recession was to raise taxes, guess what they (the geniuses that they are) decided on… TEXT MESSAGES… not calls or anything complicated like that now, just texts - brilliant or absolutely retarded - I’m going for the latter since they’ve estimated they’re going to get Billions!!..

Interesting. Is it a flat tax on the monthly bill or per text? There is talk in WA state of implementing a gas tax increase… wasn’t it just July that everyone was crying for a gas tax holiday? Morons.

something stupid like 1c per text…the admin alone would negate the revenue! I wonder has anyone in our governmnet passed an economics/accounting exam!

Everyone like to push the payments off onto the next generation. I guess texting is a more direct way to do it than most.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Everyone like to push the payments off onto the > next generation. I guess texting is a more direct > way to do it than most. +1. The AARP must be in Ireland as well.

yet the average age of texters would still probably be under the legal age to work!

KarenC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yet the average age of texters would still > probably be under the legal age to work! But their parents pay the bill. WA state is also increasing the liquor tax…

Indeed… it just sounds too costly and not sustainable especially with the fact that most networks are giving free texts to any network in Ireland… Increasing Liquor tax I could understand - wouldn’t like it, obviously, but it would make economic sense

True, but whoever said politicians make wise decisions? Our state is also sending $1 stimulus checks to every resident… now that’s smart.

Really? - ah there goes my idea of relocating to somewhere with an intelligent government out the window! Probably not possible anyway…

brianr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Interesting. Is it a flat tax on the monthly bill > or per text? > > There is talk in WA state of implementing a gas > tax increase… wasn’t it just July that everyone > was crying for a gas tax holiday? Morons. Massachusetts is talking of doing the same thing. It would be an extra 19 cents a gallon. MA has to be one of the worst run states in the country.

text messages are already the biggest rip off in the history of telecommunications. the mark-up on SMS is about 20,000,000% the messages cost close to nothing to deliver - about $10^(-9) per message. the same bandwidth would have been used even if there was no text message - they are tacked at the end of other background signals sent from the tower to the mobile handset - that’s why the character limit is so low. if your ISP charged you the same data rate as the average mobile provider charges for a 160-byte SMS you’d be paying bandwidth fees on the order of millions of dollars per gigabyte. maybe it’s time to regulate SMS fees and skim off these obscene profits instead of gouging the consumer even further

Taxing fuel makes sense I think. US consumption taxes are really low and fuel is an easy place to hit. It is a social ill as it pollutes the environment hence less complaints than a general rise in sales tax and also it has very low demand elasticity to price changes. US should impose a 50c a gallon federal gasoline tax and 5c per cigarette levy as well. Remember your Econ 101 - taxing consumption rather than income is economically efficient. Problem is consumption taxes also tend to be inequitable as they are not progressive. However if done in conjunction with cuts in income and corporation tax then I think such a move makes sense. US corporation tax is punitively high. A lot of states still have only 20c a gallon gasoline tax I think and sales tax of less than 10%. That’s way lower than it should be in an ideal tax system in my opinion.