The JDV method

This is like the Mystery method for CFA candidates “I found that studying at home was very difficult with all of the distractions, so I checked into a hotel room every weekend for six weeks prior to each exam. I went to different hotels (weekend packages at nice hotels are cheap!) and requested a giant conference table for all my books, papers, and laptop. There were some elements of vacation in this, and I did an enormous amount of studying each weekend.”

yeah I might go to CT and do something like that soon. doing this in Miami at the end of the month

Ummm… I guess you all have more money than me. You could go to your local college’s Business School/Law School Library where it’s dead silent and study all day/night on the weekends there for free.

That seems overkill. He seems like he’d pass without studying at all. Maybe he got that way from his hotel strategy.

this is dumber than getting a non top 10 MBA full time.

pacmandefense Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this is dumber than getting a non top 10 MBA full > time. i’ll pass on the word to the topless chicks on south beach for ya . . .

When I was in college, I used to go to the basement of their library (which is like 5-6 floors below ground) to study. There you will find all sorts of journals and books covered in dust and shelved on heavy steel cases. When I need a study break, I went to open these shelves, which can only be opened by turning the levers (like a safe) on them. (Good exercise too!)

I will say that back when I was studying for level 1, I had to travel a couple of times for work and found studying at the hotel to be much more productive than at home. I can’t see paying for it myself though… I can think of better ways to spend that kind of money (Windsor for example). I suppose this would make more sense if you had kids or other distractions but unfortunately I can’t justify spending that much every weekend…

“this is dumber than getting a non top 10 MBA full time.” hahaha… I love it. That just made my day.

pacmandefense Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this is dumber than getting a non top 10 MBA full > time. ++++

jdane416 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “this is dumber than getting a non top 10 MBA full > time.” > > hahaha… I love it. That just made my day. swaptiongamma Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pacmandefense Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > this is dumber than getting a non top 10 MBA > full > > time. > > ++++ pacman, swaption, jdane, I don’t know about all of you, but studying with all my free time cooped up in a room when all my friends are going out is pretty f*ing depressing. These are the distractions that I deal with. I’m sure everyone has distractions they deal with. Last year before the exam I got sick of at studying and went out from Friday afternoon on a nonstop binge until Sunday night / Monday morning with my friends and blew 2 out of the 3 remaining weekends before the exam. I have been locked up in f*ing rooms for too long. So I will take my Miami, I will chill on the beach to take a break, and I will put in as many hours as I can to study and not blow the whole weekend getting wasted. If you think that my method of dealing with distractions and isolating myself b/c I have similar issues with giving in to things around me as the OP described and you think it is idiotic that I know what I need to do to succeed, well, then you can all f*ck off.

Don’t correlate my comment to your study method, if you thought the +++ was a way to look down on your ways to study. I simply looooved what pacman wrote - of not doing a MBA from Top 10 B school (Full Time). Actually I did not even knew what this thread was all about completely, untill now, where I had to re-read the whole thing and make sense of why you got pissed. EDIT: Actually I would love studying in a motel/hotel too, but I don’t have that much money for this exam.

I’m going to a full time non-top ten MBA Program this fall. I don’t get the negative stigma that non-top ten programs get. My back office experience has not turned too many heads. Likewise, the fact that I’m enrolled for an MBA program directly assisted me with getting an internship at a hedge fund this summer where the portfolio manager is an undergraduate alum from. The program is well known in my region, and I do not plan on moving anytime soon.

I’m going to a full time non-top ten MBA Program this fall. I don’t get the negative stigma that non-top ten programs get. My back office experience has not turned too many heads. Likewise, the fact that I’m enrolled for an MBA program directly assisted me with getting an internship at a hedge fund this summer where the portfolio manager is an alum from their undergraduate program. The program is well known in my region, and I do not plan on moving anytime soon.

I really didn’t intent to hurt anybody guys - I am sorry if I did that by my comments to pacman’s thought. I am in no position to say what is correct or wrong since I myself have no finance background, nor a MBA nor a Masters, just a ‘little’ undergrad from my home country and that’s about it as far as my education is concerned. I am doing this CFA just to have a hope alive (like other 40,000 jerks) to enter *into* finance some day, but looking at my conceptual knowledge (which is what th CFA covers) I think I am not at all fit for the industry, forget about implementing models in excel. So all you guys on the AF are much more superior with their qualifications and atleast doing a MBA or an MSF/MFE/MQF on the side, apart from having a full time job and this CFA thingie.

I’m not throwing this at you swap, I’m generalizing what I’ve read on general discussion and now on the L2 forum… It seems to me that each AF member assumes anyone on AF can get a 650+ GMAT and get accepted into a top school. I took two runs at the GMAT, one cramming through all of the Official Guides, Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. The second time I revisted all the old material and took a preparation course. My top score was a 580. It’s not like I’m going for an online MBA, I’m going to a well known respected school in my region. Since my employment was shaken via a layoff, I opted for the full time program instead of the part time.